Which pre-amp?

Leonardo Drummond

Hey everyone, quick question for the speaker guys:

I assembled my speaker system around a pair of KEF XQ40s and later on upgraded to the Jamo R907s, but never got round to upgrading the integrated amp (Marantz PM11-S2), which wasn't really up to the task. However, a few weeks ago I managed to snatch a pair of Bel Canto REF1000s monoblocks and couldn't believe how much of an upgrade it was. Turns out I had never really heard those speakers. My first idea was to use the Marantz as a pre-amp, but when I set-up the GS-X there I realized that the Marantz wasn't really up there as a pre either.

So now I'm wondering about what options I should entertain at around $2K, maybe slightly more? My GS-X won't leave my bedroom system permanently, and I figured I'd sell the Marantz and use the money I get from it to get a better pre-amp. Another option would be to sell the DAC as well (ECD-1) and get a DAC with a built-in pre-amp.

Any ideas?

Hahahaha indeed it is a question!

That's something I forgot to mention actually – I'm really into simplicity and transparency, but judging by my experience with the GS-X there I guess some gain would be useful. I find myself using it at high gain more often than not, but I could settle for medium gain. So something from 3x to 9x would work. It's a largish room, and I listen at a very generous volume.

I just found a local store that sells the Musical Fidelity M6 Pre and the Cambridge 351E at very reasonable prices; probably they got them before the dollar went through the roof. Does anyone have any experience with these?

• 4 months later...

Have you considered a passive pre?  One option in your price range is the Tortuga LDR passive pre http://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/ldrx-passive-preamp/

I know this is an earlier post, but I have realized I could use a passive pre. I like the thinking of the Tortuga LDR, and its price range beats heck out of most of the commercial autoformer/transformer options. corresponded with John Chapman, but some of the supplies necessary to build a balanced version of AVC-1 are no longer available, and the OEMs he supplies are clearly exploring what the market will bear. Has anyone here used a Tortuga? They have a 30-day policy which seems very fair.

Yeah, I think they are a reasonable piece of kit. Give it a go!

I did. I placed an order for a LDRxB. Will permit me to set up more than one DAC into the speaker system, and (I think) to take the direct stereo out of the Oppo for playing those discs that have proved difficult to rip. I like the company, their DIY support (good attitude), their 10% new-newsletter-subscribercustomer discount, and the reviews are encouraging. Been looking for a way to add a little flexibility to the system, without an active pre, and without breaking the bank on some of the commercial passives.

Thanks @Craig Sawyers for the link.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 1:53 PM, Leonardo Drummond said:

Hey everyone, quick question for the speaker guys:

I assembled my speaker system around a pair of KEF XQ40s and later on upgraded to the Jamo R907s, but never got round to upgrading the integrated amp (Marantz PM11-S2), which wasn't really up to the task. However, a few weeks ago I managed to snatch a pair of Bel Canto REF1000s monoblocks and couldn't believe how much of an upgrade it was. Turns out I had never really heard those speakers. My first idea was to use the Marantz as a pre-amp, but when I set-up the GS-X there I realized that the Marantz wasn't really up there as a pre either.

So now I'm wondering about what options I should entertain at around $2K, maybe slightly more? My GS-X won't leave my bedroom system permanently, and I figured I'd sell the Marantz and use the money I get from it to get a better pre-amp. Another option would be to sell the DAC as well (ECD-1) and get a DAC with a built-in pre-amp.

Any ideas?

I've had great success with the BAT tube preamps with  SS amps. In every case they have added a touch of warmth, lots of power, body and texture to the music. You could probably get VK-31se in that price range. I have driven input loads as low as 3K with them, no problem. Reliable too. Good Luck

• Like 1