PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter (NPC)

skullguise

Just got the PS Audio newsletter, an interesting product coming soon.

Phono Pre and A-D Converter.

Snippets:

Ready to ship this September, the NPC has the best analog phono stage we've ever built in our 30 something years of building phono stages.  100% analog from input to output, this is like our famous GCPH phono stage on steroids.  Passive RIAA, a class A all FET gain stage, this beauty is quiet and able to handle just about any cartridge you put on it (it has 6dB more gain than did the GCPH).  In a few weeks we'll have all the specs up on the website.

Info on digital output

In addition to the analog phono stage we've also included a wonderful Analog to Digital converter that can take either the output of the phono stage, or the output of any analog source you wish, and convert it to either DSD or PCM.  With this output you can plug directly into your DAC and play records without any compromise.

Or, use the asynchronous USB output to feed the DSD or PCM signal to your computer so you can build a digital library.  DSD encoding is available in standard or double rate and PCM audio is capable of up to 192kHz, 24 bit.  We've even added a Digital lens to the final output to keep the digital audio sounding sweet and unjittered

I'm confused.  I get the part about it being a good phono pre, and I get the USB digital recording application, but the part where they suggest plugging the ADC directly into a DAC?

Why insert an ADC and DAC into an analogue chain?  Am I ignorant about something important here?

Edited by acidbasement

Yeah that application is quite strange isn't it.   :doghuh:   I briefly went through the discussion thread (http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/5310/nuwave-phono-converter/p1) and didn't find anything.

Here is one very specific and strange hypothetical I thought of:
- I have no dedicated preamp nor use an integrated in my non-vinyl system.  I want start using vinyl in this setup.
- Instead my DAC has an internal volume control / preamp.
- My power amplifier has one set of inputs and the DAC is connected to it.
- My DAC has multiple digital inputs.
- I connect this Nuwave product to one of my DAC's unused digital inputs.
- Now I can listen to both the original digital source as well as vinyl without changing any manual connections.

Quite weird.  Anyone think of any other reason for the ADC->DAC setup? (Disregarding any crazies who might claim the live conversion to digital adds something good.)  I doubt anyone would buy a $2k product to use it in this way...

The digitalization of vinyl is an understandable application though.
Edited by Nanoha

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dan the metric halo uses software (MIO Console ) that allows for 8 analog channels  with multiple effects one being EQ they have both encoding and decoding RIAA.  

I keep thinking of getting rid of the MH (just long term gear itch) but when I look at ll I use it for (DAC, phono pre, pre amp to my Genelec 8050's and a HP amp) I'd spend $4k-6K replicating it with the loss of some functions.

I am a big proponent of digital domain RIAA conversions, not sure it is the best in a total marketplace view but it is not bettered by sub $3k pre amps I have owned or heard. Yes there are other flavors, largely tube flavorings but for pure clean/neutral sound it is tough to beat IMHO. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all  the help every one. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Have been  going through a lot of serious health issues..... and trying to move. Four times to the ER, and total of 15 days in the ICU in the last couple months have put a halt to all audio (sorry to say) lately.  Will say,  without Purks help would have never got house packed up and ready to go. Wont be able to make the move with my wife, for awhile I'm stuck here til the docs say I can make the move. 60 years old and having to move back in with mother..........shoot me now ;)