RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Britain is entirely in shock, as is Westminster.  First British politician to be murdered in 25 years, first woman politician ever.  40 years old, two young children, shot and stabbed to death in broad daylight around midday yesterday outside her political surgery (see below), which she was holding in the public library.  The 50 year old perpetrator walked calmly away, and was arrested by police.  He apparently shouted "Britain First" - which is an ultra-right murky organisation.  It seems he has a long history of mental problems too.

Flags at Westminster and Buckingham Palace are at half mast.

Political surgery.  Politicians are accountable to their electorate, and all (or most) hold regular events at which people can come and have a one-on-one meeting to discuss their concerns and issues that their MP can help with.  Even the Prime Minister does them.

Campaigning for the In/Out EU referendum has been halted.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1

Another terrible incident!

RIP Jo Cox.

IMHO the demonizing of whoever the opposition is is out of hand. I can remember liberal minded friends (I'm a bleeding heart) surprising me with their hate of "W" Bush. I was totally against the direction he was leading the US but I didn't "hate" the guy. 

But all the extreme negative talk adds up and even though most folks realize to take it with a grain of salt, enough people take it as fact and a tiny minority think that taking action is the next logical step.

I don't know how we can back off on the extreme rhetoric but I do think that it's a step in the right direction.

RIP to the Founding Father of Bluegrass. Sadly, Dr. Ralph Stanley and his Clinch Mountain Boys was the last of the old line to play the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival and he didn't make it to last year's event due to his health. Sad to think that generation is gone.

Fuck cancer and fuck 2016 once again.

The Clinch Mountain folk are responsible for some remarkably good Americana, folk, bluegrass, mountain music. It's also the home of AP, Sara and Maybelle Carter. I hope this music is not forgotten, because it's a large part of our history.

RIP Dr. Stanley!