Visiting New Orleans

crappyjones123

Taking Julie to the French Quarter for our third year anniversary (Aug 12th). Can't believe she has tolerated me for three years now! We get in to New Orleans at 7:25pm on Aug 8th and fly out at 4pm on Aug 12th. Already have tickets for the WW 2 Museum. Any suggestions from those in the area or have visited the region in the past? Neither of us drink so the suggestions need not revolve around bars unless of course they serve good food/have good music. I don't do well with loud music in closed off places so suggestions for open areas would be great. Also, looking for suggestions for non touristy food places that don't cost an arm/leg. Something the locals would enjoy. The hole in the wall places have turned out to be the best for the palate and the wallet. 

Taking Julie to the French Quarter for our third year anniversary (Aug 12th). Can't believe she has tolerated me for three years now! We get in to New Orleans at 7:25pm on Aug 8th and fly out at 4pm on Aug 12th. Already have tickets for the WW 2 Museum. Any suggestions from those in the area or have visited the region in the past? Neither of us drink so the suggestions need not revolve around bars unless of course they serve good food/have good music. I don't do well with loud music in closed off places so suggestions for open areas would be great. Also, looking for suggestions for non touristy food places that don't cost an arm/leg. Something the locals would enjoy. The hole in the wall places have turned out to be the best for the palate and the wallet. 

Congrats on three years, that is awesome! Yall will have a blast in New Orleans. Where will yall be staying?

Recs:

Katie's in mid-city is my current favorite "hole in the wall" type restaurant. Very reasonable prices, unbelievable seafood. My favorite is the Catfish Meuniere, which is fried catfish served over fries smothered in the most insane meuniere gravy. $16.

Johnny's Po-Boys in the quarter. Line will always be out the door, check the hours I think its lunch only. Basically its like 50 million different kinds of poboys, all delicious. Cash only. Get a poboy and walk down royal street eating it, looking at all the fancy art.

Cafe Du Monde. Yeah yeah its touristy but its fucking good. I go to New Orleans a lot, and I always manage to find my way there. Its 24 hours, they only serve coffee and beignets. Get a cafe au lait and a couple orders of beignets and go nuts on them. Open 24 hours, hell yeah.

Daisy Dukes - right off the side of the Marriott on canal, a true hole in the wall, open 24 hours, DOPE ASS food. My favorite late night eating spot in the quarter. Get a po boy, gumbo, and pancakes, you'll go to carb heaven.

And if you DO decide to splurge, since after all you are in one of the greatest food cities in the world, its hard to go wrong with Commanders Palace. You'll need a reservation and a coat and tie, but the service is top notch, and the food amazing. I had the pecan candied quail last time I went. Makes me tear up a little just thinking about it.

Music wise, looking at the music calendar on wwoz:

Aug 8th - Raw Oyster Cult at Tips Uptown. Tipitinas is a classic venue but when its packed its pretty miserable. Might not be your thing but Raw Oyster Cult is great.

Aug 9th - Preservation Hall Jazz Band at Preservation Hall. Ashamed to admit I've never actually been in the Pres Hall venue, but I've seen PHJB countless times. Classic trad jazz, as authentic as it gets. Pres Hall is a teeny tiny venue, but there is no amplification, pure acoustic music. I highly recommend it. Right in the quarter.

There is always so much going on music wise. Check out the WWOZ calendar for yourself and see if anything strikes your fancy. I don't drink either, but I always enjoy walking down Frenchmen St (the "local's bourbon st", at the back of the quarter) and seeing all the crazy people. You can wander into a lot of bars cover free and hear amazing brass band music. Don't fear the tuba.

Overall safety wise, the french quarter is generally totally safe, and the CBD is pretty safe too. Just be aware of your surroundings as you would be in any other big city and you'll be fine.

New Orleans is the fucking best.

• Like 1

Whoops didn't see you posted this jack. Thanks for the detailed response. We are staying at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside. Nothing fancy but close to a bus station and and more or less equidistant to all the places we wish to visit. I've run into some discrepancies (preservation hall tickets being $45 online but trip advisor reviews saying $15 at the door - usually it's the other way round) but we will deal with them once we get there. I'm getting excited.