The Head Case Major Appliance Thread

en480c4

So, we're closing on our new house on Friday, and we have a month to take care of a few things before we move in. The biggest project is a gut on the kitchen.

Recommendations for the major appliances? Leaning towards a slide-in gas range instead of separates, though I do like the cook top and wall oven. And we're trying to decide if a French door fridge is worth the extra coin vs side by side. Liking the Kitchen Aid stuff I've seen, but we're not sure.

And washer and dryer... We've been really happy with our LG combo unit, so we were thinking we'd stick with that, but I'm more than happy to hear real world experience and advice.

Thanks.

So, if you can fit it, I strongly recommend a separate fridge and freezer.  French door fridges are convenient, but mine has been a fragile piece of shit.  I've replaced most of the shelves, and the freezer support framework is now broken, and will have to be replaced.  This is a 7 year old $2500 kenmore elite.  

I REALLY liked our cooktop with a range hood on an island, with a double oven.   That said, we only used the double part of the oven on holidays.

My biggest suggestion is make sure your "work triangles" work.  Anything else is easy enough to deal with, but if you're going to be working in the kitchen, make it as functional as you can.

Also, Bosch dishwasher.

We're planning on the slide in range with a hood in the island for sure. The room has a really awkward layout, so we're actually carving out a portion on the room to better serve a functional layout. I do like or separates so I'm probably going to at least revisit that decision.

And thanks for the background on the manufacturer... We were at least considering Kenmore because the pricing is pretty aggressive when you catch them on a sale.

Thanks... Keep the recommendations coming!

When shopping a dishwasher, make sure you check out the internal layout -- that's the one thing that my ex hates about hers -- it's blissfully quiet (you forget it's on until it clicks and changes cycles) and plenty efficient, but it's almost impossible to overfill (which, now that I think about it, is probably by design).

yah, you're way more likely to have clean dishes if you can't overfill.  I love love love my bosch dishwasher.  Stainless tub, adjustable top shelf height, super quiet, and actually cleans the dishes.  It's 7 years old and going strong (unlike my kenmore elite french door fridge)

As far as appliances are concerned, find a few models you like and see if you can find them in outlets or on craigslist ads where small places buy the floor models and sell them cheap.  I have saved a TON of money that way, like a $3,000 modernaire island hood for $400 on cragslist and a $2,600 Whirlpool double oven on Sears outlet for $849 (floor model).  If you can, look a lot.  Damn good deals if you are not in a huge rush.

Also, I am a HUGE fan of induction cooktops, so if you are feeling daring, a 50A line to the island is not too cost prohibitive, and you will never again heat up half the house boiling noodles or such.  Good deals on induction if you look too.

Oh, and Dan's advice about the triangle is absolutely necessary.

Edited by roadtonowhere08
  • Like 1

Ken, that is certainly true nationwide.  Here in west Michigan it is hard to find a non Whirlpool made Kenmore appliance.  If you can locate the model number (not Kenmore number) on the manufacturer's tag it is possible to figure out who the manufacturer is.