Windows 7 or 8?

I think I am going to my dad a new basic desktop computer.  His computer is about a million years old but he is way too cheap and stubborn to replace it.  I think I may get him a Dell Inspiron 3000.  It has a reasonable processor (Intel Quad Core 4th gen i5 3.2GHz), is not too expensive, has 8GB RAM, and I can always upgrade to an SSD if needed.   He doesn't do much on it (just listens to music, some basic spreadsheets, and browses the web).  

I can get it with Window 7 or 8.  I am leaning towards 7 because 8 is pretty different than he is used to using (XP).  Is there any reason to go with Windows 8?  For example, is Windows going to stop supporting 7 or is Windows 8 more secure? 

Edited by shellylh

there ya go, 1 month left on windows 7.

Crap - I sat on my Windows 7 Ultimate for almost 2 years, before finally installing it last February in Boot Camp because XP was going to lose support (only to run Quicken financial software).  

If I don't run anything except Quicken, not even IE and I have no email accounts installed (nor any other apps other than McAfee and Quicken), would it be safe to keep using 7 after support runs out?

Nope.  After support runs out, your computer bursts into flames and your bank accounts are drained.  I would not chance it.

You'll be fine.  Just don't enter into any agreements with any Nigerian princes or shit like that.  

I'm still on 7, and I see no reason to upgrade to any of the turds Microsoft has foisted onto us as of late.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Stuff happened to my computer.  Long story short, I had "opportunity" to compare Win 7 to Win 8.1 on the same computer multiple times, and win 8.1 beats the pants off 7 on start-up and shut-off times.  I hate metro, but installing Classic Shell fixed that quickly.  

I personally wouldn't use a computer on the internet if it was running an operating system not receiving active security patching.  But my job has me paranoid that way. If you don't have any information you would care if it got put in a database to be resold, and you don't mind if other people make use of your spare network bandwidth and computational cycles, then it matters less, I guess.

• Like 2

I think I am going to my dad a new basic desktop computer.  His computer is about a million years old but he is way too cheap and stubborn to replace it.  I think I may get him a Dell Inspiron 3000.  It has a reasonable processor (Intel Quad Core 4th gen i5 3.2GHz), is not too expensive, has 8GB RAM, and I can always upgrade to an SSD if needed.   He doesn't do much on it (just listens to music, some basic spreadsheets, and browses the web).  

I can get it with Window 7 or 8.  I am leaning towards 7 because 8 is pretty different than he is used to using (XP).  Is there any reason to go with Windows 8?  For example, is Windows going to stop supporting 7 or is Windows 8 more secure? 

If you go Dell and are willing to shop in Staples-

http://easy.staples.com/pub/sf/FormLink?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGNK9U2zg1XJ3ezgIShPuC4SER7czgJstE4zgyzb7OFfVXMtX%3DWQpglLjHJlYQGj5jdry2zg07Arkk1nLpKk12inBc33gw7zcMst&_ei_=Ej19Zi0pxIzu0ERfGyfvPDmJwONQoXWJfSoKPPobj1tVRDiasfPK_W9Eiy5CPe4P8CThfP6Ye7qZbM308qmRCPm2ZpTLT-mWAxYm063Mgjs3wtv18fYo_GgHGPCmfrW7vMERyadbS-SjHWxcndcWcAA1Z0dSOT1xr1ElZhARNyJCu9w1gMddIZNgpCKI0s6kd9iR.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

As for life expectancy of Windows 7, it would suck if it died soon given that a lot of financial corporations switched to Windows 7 after XP support dropped. No bank that I know of works with Windows 8. I'm sure there are exceptions somewhere...

That said. I got used to Windows 8. And 8.1

Edited by screaming oranges

I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop. I log in, Metro pops up, I hit the windows key or alt+tab, and I don't see metro again until I lock my machine or sign in again. I really don't get what the big deal is.

**BRENT**

You can add a few seconds to your life by doing the below and booting direclty to desktop.

1. After booting Windows 8.1 click the Desktop tile to enter Desktop mode.

2. Right-click any open area in the taskbar, then click Properties.

3. Click the Navigation tab, then check the box next to Go to the desktop instead of Start when I sign in.

4. Click OK, then reboot.

Windows Classic Shell is also handy to get the normal start button back.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Stardock is also a nice cheap app that expands the start menu and desktop functionality.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

• Like 1