Amplification dilemma

I know you guys usually don't like this sort of post, but I can't make up my mind and to me this is the best place to get some help. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience!

To make a long story short: I might have the opportunity to upgrade from my MKI GS-X to a beautiful red MKII for about 900 bucks. However, I have a buyer now for my MKI (which is extremely lucky as selling it should be a pain in Brazil) and the MKII guy is about 90% sure of his sale.

If I make the buyer wait, he might give up and I'll have a hard time selling the GS-X later and will probably miss the opportunity to grab that MKII. If I sell it now though, there's a risk that the guy won't sell his MKII later on (although it's a bit unlikely). If that happens, however, I could go for an Audio-gd Master 9 that's for sale in Brazil for a good price. I don't know how it compares to my current GS-X, but I read somewhere that they're close and that KG holds it in very high regard. Also, in this scenario, I'd have some spare cash to drop on a better DAC than my current Yulong D100.

So my question is: do you guys think that the upgrade from the GS-X MKI to an MKII is worth the money and the risk? If it is, would the backup plan (Master 9 + some good $1000ish DAC) be any good compared to what I currently own? BTW, my preference is for a transparent and refined wire-with-gain sort of sound that goes well with anything from my Roxannes to the HD800, the HP1000 and some other power hungry headphones.

Thoughts?

If you were buying from scratch, I'd say a MKII all the way and be done, but 900 bucks buys a whole lot of other stuff that will make you happy as well.  I say keep the MKI, and be happy that you pretty much have the best SS amp there is.  Chasing that last 1% is a waste of time and money.

I know it's not the HC way, but it's the best advice you're going to read.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Thanks a lot for the opinions guys, they were really helpful! I appreciate it :)

It is a tough decision, especially as I know that, as roadtonowhere and Peter said, it's still a 1% and more psychological than anything... on the other hand, I can't deny that a red MKII is drool-inducing.

Will mull it over and see what happens! Thanks again!

I have the GS-X MKII and I say go for it if money isn't an issue and if you want to add harder to drive phones to your collection.  The improvement over the MK1 however would only be slight or not any better on lower impedance phones but more audible with harder to drive phones such as the HD800 or orthos. 

The MKII is very versatile amplifier that sound great with wide range of headphones from CD3000 all the way to the HD800.  Note that I don't have the GS-X but I do have the Gilmore Reference Balanced (Justin original balanced Dynalo with exotic parts & beefier PSU than the GS-X).  This amp renders bigger and deeper soundstage with more sense of air than the GS-X MKII.  It also works better with lower impedance phones but just can't match the GS-X MKII when driving something like the HD800.  I'm not not sure how your GS-X would measure against my Balanced Ref; however you should hear more benefits with higher impedance phones due to more power on tap on the MKII.  Another thing to add is that I also notice that the MKII is slightly warmer and possibly more neutral than my Gilmore Reference balanced.  

Edited by purk

Thanks, Purk :)

I think I'll just keep the MKI, especially because I have no intention of going the orthos' route yet. I'm very happy with the headphones I own, and the only one that I consider buying is an HD600 (again)! So maybe those $900 would be better spent on some nice-ish tube amp as an alternative to the GS-X for my Senns – like a Bottlehead Crack even, which could also be the introduction to the DIY world that I want to have sometimes!

Thanks, Purk :)

I think I'll just keep the MKI, especially because I have no intention of going the orthos' route yet. I'm very happy with the headphones I own, and the only one that I consider buying is an HD600 (again)! So maybe those $900 would be better spent on some nice-ish tube amp as an alternative to the GS-X for my Senns – like a Bottlehead Crack even, which could also be the introduction to the DIY world that I want to have sometimes!

Yes,  plus you don't have to worry about stacking amp/psu issue on the new GS-X MKII.  I would suggest you to build the Susy Dynahi if you can as it has the best slam factor and the best sound compared to the GS-X MKII  & Gilmore Ref for higher to drive cans.  

The Dynahi isn't the ultimate headphone amp for the HD800, but it is still amazing.

For everyday listening, I probably prefer the Dynalo to the Dynahi with the HD800 because it sounds so intense.

However, with some electronic music the Dynahi is the better choice because it fully drives the HD800 to the driver's full potential.

But anyways, I second the Dynahi recommendation. Even with high sensitivity, easy to drive headphones, it makes other amps seem like toys.

Edited by dreamwhisper

The Dynahi isn't the ultimate headphone amp for the HD800, but it is still amazing.

For everyday listening, I probably prefer the Dynalo to the Dynahi with the HD800 because it sounds so intense.

However, with some electronic music the Dynahi is the better choice because it fully drives the HD800 to the driver's potential.

But anyways, I second the Dynahi recommendation. Even with high sensitivity, easy to drive headphones, it makes other amps seem like toys.

Are we talking single-end or balance?  I really do like the Susy Dynahi a great deal.  Like you said they are extremely powerful and give such an intense/impactful listening experience.  I also like the  fact that it is a little warmer and punchier than both the GS-X MK2 and Justin's Gilmore Balanced Reference that I have.  I was quite surprised that it is able to drive the CD3000 exceptionally well.   

Actually the Dynahi is pretty decent with classical and metal too. The Dynalo for some reason feels a little more loose or organic, and the Dynahi feels even more like straight wire with gain, if that makes any sense. 

It probably just means it's powering the HD800 driver better I think. 

The bass is actually much more tolerable on the Dynahi, but normally I just switch to e-stats at that point anyway.

It's single ended with a stepped attenuator.

Edited by dreamwhisper

Even if you start off small(ish) it is not hard to get to DIY-Dyna* level pretty quickly. 

If you are interested in DIY, I would also look at the CKKiii as one of your "middle of learning process amps." It is VASTLY overshadowed by the vastly overhyped b22... so nobody talks about it. But its a good sounding, very affordable mid-complexity build. 

The hardest part is (still) casework. For me, anyways. 

^^^This is actually what I'm less worried about, since I'm a product designer :)

If anyone needs help with this BTW, and if I can help with like SolidWorks drawings or anything like that, I'd be happy to help if I can.

In any case, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll have a loot into the CKKiii as well! 

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

Leo if you are sticking with the mk1 I think you are making the right choice.  I've been in your shoes before!  The $900 is better allocated elsewhere.

Just so you know as well I don't think you have much issue selling the mk1 for a fair price.  You have the upgrade boards right??

Leo if you are sticking with the mk1 I think you are making the right choice.  I've been in your shoes before!  The $900 is better allocated elsewhere.

Just so you know as well I don't think you have much issue selling the mk1 for a fair price.  You have the upgrade boards right??

Yes, I've made up my mind! The MKI is going to stay here after all. I don't have the upgraded boards though! I've considered buying them before but didn't. Do you have them in any of your HeadAmps?