Group Buy - Digital Attenuator (Kevin Gilmore)

sorenb

Now, Kerry is currently about to test the latest revision of the Kevin Gilmore Digital Attenuator, and since a few people have asked for a Group Buy we hereby probe the interest. Kerry is mostly inclined for the 50k version.

Please put your request into the referenced Google spreadsheet. The information in the sheet in rgrds to price is from the former group buy and only to give an idea of where we might end with this group buy.

As last time we will investigate cost of fully assembled boards as well as bare boards (with stencil) if people wants to DIY.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/131vk972PEIm-J4r5IbZT7IP7CAqoMfP4j0RfE0J0xeM/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if the sheet can be improved/enhanced/misses something or whatever  ::)

The original thread: 

Please note that one board for two channel balanced operations

Edited by sorenb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the v2 attenuators capable of balanced stereo on one board?

Also just to check, all that's required to use this is the attentuator(s), an uno, a separate +5V supply, and either a pot or rotary encoder?

Yes, that is for a balanced board fully populated.  The biggest swing will be in manufacturing costs and resistors. 

I assumed similar pricing to last time for resistors for the signal path.  Then there are a bunch more high current resistors for the relays (32) that are relatively expensive.  Volume will matter here as well.

I also took the manufacturing costs and doubled it since there are double the parts of the single channel boards for the last run.  This is not really a good assumption, but is a reasonable starting point.  There are large setup costs for the manufacturing and we'll need to get decent volume to cover that.

Long short this is a real SWAG :)

Edited by Kerry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I will finalize my testing on the .4 version this coming week.

I think from there, someone just needs to compare the .4 version to the current version to ensure there are no issues.

The next steps are to work with the manufacturer to get some test boards made. We will need to provide sample boards to them for the 10k and 50k versions. I don't mind helping out here and building these samples.

Then we can make the final run of boards and assemblies.

• 1 month later...

I will finalize my testing on the .4 version this coming week.

I think from there, someone just needs to compare the .4 version to the current version to ensure there are no issues.

The next steps are to work with the manufacturer to get some test boards made. We will need to provide sample boards to them for the 10k and 50k versions. I don't mind helping out here and building these samples.

Then we can make the final run of boards and assemblies.

Any news ?

• 5 weeks later...

No GB that I know of. Kerry did one about 4 years ago. You might check with him as he may still have a board or two left. If not, the Gerbers are available; you could get some boards from somewhere such as SeeedStudio for pretty cheap.

The current design does 2 balanced channels on a single PCB. The previous design required 2 PCBs to do this.

Edited by Pars

• 1 month later...

In rgrds to the Group Buy for a digital attenuator, I've got a quote from PCBNet at 50 boards: 11.40USD.(the interest is 44 at this point in time).

According to Kevin this version has been traced by Kerry but apparantly not yet tested. However the previous version has been built by Kerry. Who confirms it is working.

Please transfer the amount stated in the spreadsheet to [email protected], putting "Group Buy DA, Head-Case ID" into the notes field.
As soon as everybody has made the transfer, the order will be made.

/S

Edited by sorenb