CH Precision C1 DAC

Dave R

Although the title of this thread is the CH Precision C1 DAC, I'd like to start off by saying that when I first got the BHSE ( June 2012 ), it obviously came with stock Mullard tubes, and Earspeaker's used were my 009's.

Now when I first heard those 009's with the BHSE I was very impressed with the first few songs I listened to, it was when I started listening to Peter Gabriel's " Sledge Hammer " and " Big Time " the problem started which was a piercing uncomfortable treble, and I found that piercing treble was with a lot of song's in my collection.

Because of that problem, I was going to sell my 009's and get a pair of 007's, but decided to try some Psvane PH tubes instead, and those tubes calmed down that uncomfortable treble quite a lot, but the problem with the PH's was their reliability, so I ended up getting some original Mullard xf4's which I find to be better than the PH's, and probably a lot more reliable too.

However, even though I find the xf4's are making the 009/BHSE sound extremely good, there's still a slight edginess to the SQ, and I never thought that edginess could've been caused by the K-01, but after auditioning the CH Precision C1 DAC with my 009/BHSE I heard no edginess at all and just an extremely good musical experience, an experience I want to hear again and again.

The reason I auditioned the CH P C1 is because since using a music server ( MacMini ) with the K-01's DAC, I haven't been using CD's that often, so I thought it best audition a DAC only seeing how one would probably be my next audio piece, I also chose the CH P C1 because I very much like the look of it and seemed to be well built, which after seeing it in real-life it definitely is well built.

The problem for me is the C1 isn't cheap, and even selling the K-01 it's still going to take sometime getting a C1, but that's what I'm going to do.

P.S. After me mentioning about this treble problem sometime ago, I remember John ( username johnwmclean ) saying it could be something to do with my K-01, but at that time I didn't think that source could've been part of that problem, but it seems John was right because as I've said the C1 has taken away that edginess.

Having a highly resolving system can be your worst enemy or best friend, the balance hangs with both system synergy and personal preference. You may very well have been chasing your tail with tube replacements band-aiding a source which may not have been to your taste. 

The BHSE (SED winged C’s) and 009’s are my current reference, my preference is for a source on the warm/lush side of neutral, I suspect the K-01 may lend it self to an analytical detailed presentation from reading many of your posts?

I’ve not had any experience with the CH Precision C1 DAC, but it’s a departure in implementation from the K-01, being an R2R vs DS and if you believe the hype this may need to be something you need to investigate. 

Dave I recommend investigating all other available options, don’t get tunnel visioned into this one almighty purchase, DACs tend to depreciate sooner than other audio investments, so factor that in, come 3 years there may very well be a $2,299 :P DAC lapping at the heels of the CH Precision C1.

Edited by johnwmclean
  • Like 1

I’ve not had any experience with the CH Precision C1 DAC, but it’s a departure in implementation from the K-01, being an R2R vs DS and if you believe the hype this may need to be something you need to investigate. 

Dave I recommend investigating all other available options, don’t get tunnel visioned into this one almighty purchase, DACs tend to depreciate sooner than other audio investments, so factor that in, come 3 years there may very well be a $2,299 :P DAC lapping at the heels of the CH Precision C1.

Yes I decided to audition the CH P C1 which users R-2R chips because of what's been written on the other site about R-2R's, but I also read about the difference between the R-2R's and D-S's on " mother of tone " website which was a very interesting read.

I've tried different tubes with the BHSE John, and I'm now using audirvana + with my music server ( MacMini ), so getting a C1 is my next step after knowing just how good it made/makes the 009/BHSE sound, to my liking that is.

I would also assume that R-2R DAC will improve on my HD-600/Dynalo mk1's SQ.

I know there are cheaper DAC's than the C1 that may sound just as good, but the C1 has everything I'm wanting from an audio piece, plus because apparently any future improvements to C1's can be added to present ones, then in getting one I'll not be changing it for anything else, so I won't be worried about depreciation.

I still plan on getting a KGSSHV Carbon to use along with the BHSE, but that will now be after the C1.

Looks like you’ve made your mind up and won’t be changed. You’ve let us know how your system has evolved and that you’ll be purchasing a CH Precision DAC, and that it’s problematic expense for yourself, but will not look at other DACs. 

I’m happy to offer advice, I’m sure other more knowledgeable people here would chip in as well, but if you’re not willing to consider other alternatives and have made your mind up there is no point. Part of the reason I’m involved in this community is the researching and understanding of real world performance from gear that offers value for money, whilst avoiding over priced products and snake oil in general.

I’m a little bewilded as to why you’ve started this thread in the first place? I just don’t see the point, or am I missing something here? Somehow I don’t think the paupers around these parts are going to be indulging.  

Edited by johnwmclean
  • Like 1

I just don’t see the point, or am I missing something here? Somehow I don’t think the paupers around these parts are going to be indulging.    

So there is a place to rave about it when it arrives! .. And then something to get picked up by the search engines to help maintain value when it gets sold and the next FTOM arrives!

Looks like you’ve made your mind up and won’t be changed. You’ve let us know how your system has evolved and that you’ll be purchasing a CH Precision DAC, and that it’s problematic expense for yourself, but will not look at other DACs. 

I’m happy to offer advice, I’m sure other more knowledgeable people here would chip in as well, but if you’re not willing to consider other alternatives and have made your mind up there is no point. Part of the reason I’m involved in this community is the researching and understanding of real world performance from gear that offers value for money, whilst avoiding over priced products and snake oil in general.

I’m a little bewilded as to why you’ve started this thread in the first place? I just don’t see the point, or am I missing something here? Somehow I don’t think the paupers around these parts are going to be indulging.  

I did think about the Audio Note DAC5S, and will probably audition that DAC, but with it having tubes it's something I'm not really wanting.

I guess there was no point in me doing this thread, but I just wanted to be part of the head-case community, seeing how a lot more truth is written here, as opposed to another site.

FUCK. ME. $33k for the DAC without a transport?  Another $4k for a USB board?  Switzerland, at what are you playing?

Yes not cheap, and for me to have one will take quite sometime saving for, but after hearing how it made my 009/BHSE sound, then saving for one is what I'm prepared to do.

I'd be selling the K-01, so that will shorten the time in getting a C1, but it'll still be sometime away.

What analogue rig would you be purchasing?

The VPI Classic Direct Drive with a Dynavector DRT XV-1T and its mono companion would be pretty cool.

I was just agreeing with the subtle points made earlier that $2.5K gets very close to maximizing digital's potential, and a $2.5K cart/tt vs $30K combo, very noticeable difference IME.

Oh, and because vinyl is better :P

While advice on trying different DAC's is very much appreciated, it wasn't something I asked for when I wrote the starting post of this thread.

That probably sounds flippant of me, but I was only trying to point out the 009/BHSE sound extremely good with the C1, with no brightness or harshness from the 009's even with Peter Gabriel's " sledgehammer " which I listened to in that audition. (  mullard xf4's were being used )

Now I don't expect anyone to get or even save for a C1, but it's something I'm going to do, and once got I won't be changing it for anything else.

that's the nice thing about this place.  It doesn't really matter why you started the thread, it goes where it goes.  A thread about how good 1 80s prog pop song sounds on a $30k dac through BHSE/009 is interesting to 1 person.  So you pays your money and you takes your chances.

were I in your position I would do some soul searching and find a way to convince myself that I liked another, cheaper thing better.

At the very least, I'd get someone to set up a double blind test so I could be sure the thing sounds at least different, if not better, than something cheaper.

And Occam's Razor suggests to me that you just don't like the 009's.

• Like 2