kevin gilmore

so  yesterday this showed up

lc-1.jpg

lc-2.jpg

lc-3.jpg

lc-4.jpg

lc-5.jpg

quoting alex...

"In a nutshell, the Liquid Carbon is a fully-discrete, fully-balanced, transportable solid-state headphone amplifier that is capable of driving all but the most demanding of headphones - delivering satisfying levels and offering superb driver control for exceptional detail and linearity."

lets run that thru fact check for a second.   yep...   "Liar Liar Pants on Fire"

fully balanced?  nope, not in the way that any truly differential amplifier would be. (like any of the super symmetry variants) and absolutely no common mode rejection.

fully-discrete?  nope not really, see the single ended to balanced converter in the schematic below

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/lc.pdf

so much fail in one package...

can the stax mafia do better, you betcha. board in progress now, will run up to +/-24V and bolt to a heatsink. So say a liquid gold clone for about $300 in parts.

people, why do you buy poorly built crap like this.  Buy Schiit, or Audio-GD  or many other high quality brands for a lot less money.

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 7

But but but so tiny...

the resistors are currently .4 inch and the verticals are .2 inch

this is the first of many boards. Due to stuff in the middle, .4 resistors are going to make the board much bigger.

almost liquid gold bigger.  Oops

what do you want for 6 hours total.

and its schiit magni uber

updated board picture above

board is 3.85 x 2.5 inches

definitely the .47 ohms have to be made bigger, because the current surface mount ones are blowing up

Edited by kevin gilmore

9 hours ago, UFN said:

Interesting work Kevin/Birgir (as always when something new comes out :) )

Can I start by making a passionate plea for enlarging the board a bit so that tombstoning the resistors isn't necessary?

//UFN

Or go surface mount if/where power handling requirements allow?

I'm really impressed by the level of tininess :) and with GRLV singles, this would be a very compact amp. 

Think about it, if Cavalli worked for Schiit, and Cavalli means horse......    Well, you make the connection.... :P

(With sincere apologies to Jason Stoddard & Mike Moffat, and all the other denizens of Schiit Audio).....:rolleyes:

I tried to cryo my ears, but I got a cold reception from the people who do it.      :unsure:

So, I'm going with having my ear canals quantum tunnelled to cut out the different propagation delays at varying frequencies.....    :)

This is akin to reducing the jitter in your DAC, but a much better high tech solution.......      :wub:

It also helps eliminate the Josephson Junction noise in your synapses and the sound of quantum foam.  :D

• Like 2