Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Accuphase DP800/DC801 or Esoteric P-05/D05?

Given a choice between the Accuphase DP800/DC801 or the Esoteric P-05/D05, which would you choose?    18 votes

1. 1. Given a choice between the Accuphase DP800/DC801 or the Esoteric P-05/D05, which would you choose?

• Accuphase DP800/DC801
    • Esoteric P-05/D-05
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

101 posts in this topic

Posted

Very nice Michael!! 8)

Posted

Oh my goodness... look at that poor DAC64 :'(

Just your SinglePowers to come then!

Posted

Thats one hell of a nice rig

Posted

Congrats! Stunning system!

Posted

very nice :)

Posted

Oh my goodness... look at that poor DAC64 :'(

Just your SinglePowers to come then!

I'm going to burn-in the P-05/D-05 for about two weeks, and then run comparisons vs. the DAC64 and DP-500. I think the DAC64 and DP-500 are both a bit scared, but they should have enough spirit to put up a good fight.

Yes, I still have the DP-500. I thought I had a buyer but he backed out in favor of an SA-10 or SA-60. So the DP-500 has been moved to a bedroom rig and replaces a Lavry DA10 there. Its optical input will be put to use with an Airport Express.

I'm waiting for a Supra XLR and ES-1, but I should receive another electrostatic amp soon, and perhaps other amps.

No one will make fun of my inadequate amplification anymore, I'm telling you! :P;D

Posted

...but I should receive another electrostatic amp soon, and perhaps other amps.

No one will make fun of my inadequate amplification anymore, I'm telling you! :P;D

;D

Posted

I'm going to burn-in the P-05/D-05 for about two weeks, and then run comparisons vs. the DAC64 and DP-500. I think the DAC64 and DP-500 are both a bit scared, but they should have enough spirit to put up a good fight.

Yes, I still have the DP-500. I thought I had a buyer but he backed out in favor of an SA-10 or SA-60. So the DP-500 has been moved to a bedroom rig and replaces a Lavry DA10 there. Its optical input will be put to use with an Airport Express.

I'm waiting for a Supra XLR and ES-1, but I should receive another electrostatic amp soon, and perhaps other amps.

if you ever feel like donating to a poor asian kid, HERE I AM!!!

Posted

Bad news: I still haven't heard anything better than electrostats driven by the HeadAmp KGSS. :(

Good news: The P-05/D-05 is significantly better than the Chord DAC64 or DP-500. I've never tried the DAC64 with its matching Blu transport, though. If it is possible to connect the P-05's dual AES outputs to the DAC64's dual BNC inputs, I might be able to simulate the Blu.

I'm listening to RBCD upsampled to DSD with the SR-007 and KGSS. Before, I would usually listen with the volume knobs at 9 o'clock, or one step above or below. Now, I'm listening at 7:30 o'clock, three steps lower than before and only three steps up from zero. The detail level is such that I feel like I'm comfortably hearing everything at this volume level already.

I've always listened at what I considered to be moderate to low volume levels. I think protecting and preserving our hearing is especially important with headphone usage. If anyone is on the fence about a source upgrade, I recommend going for the highest quality you can afford immediately. Don't wait, don't muck around buying other crap such as additional headphones like I did, the source is first!

Sense of liquidity and smoothness is also excellent. If the sound improves any with burn-in, I'm going to be extremely impressed.

Noted!

Posted

yup, source first for the win!

Posted

I'm thinking the D-05's XLR outputs have to be much higher than either the Chord or DP-500. It can't be equal. Listening at 9 o'clock volume setting is too loud for me.

Posted

wouldn't surprise me.

Posted

I'm thinking the D-05's XLR outputs have to be much higher than either the Chord or DP-500. It can't be equal. Listening at 9 o'clock volume setting is too loud for me.

Yes balanced outputs will be louder than single ended, at least 3db

Nice rig :kitty:

Posted

Yes balanced outputs will be louder than single ended, at least 3db

There's also the possibility that it outputs a higher RMS V. My Wadia can be configured for up to 4V or something like that.

Posted

mine goes to 6 on XLR and 3 on RCA.

Posted

I'm another one, lol. Can I come over when I go back to Taiwan in 2008?

Posted

I also used the XLR outputs of the Chord and DP-500 with the KGSS, and the same cables.

I think some brain burn-in is required.

I'm another one, lol. Can I come over when I go back to Taiwan in 2008?

I don't know, it could be dangerous. For your wallet. >:D Assuming you are young like jinp6301, I wouldn't want to be responsible for any lack of saving on your part. Saving and investing your money is best when you're still young, each dollar will work for a longer period of time.

Posted

When Stereophile measured the DAC64 it had a 3.1/6.2v output voltage and I can't find any for the D-05. Can look in the owners manual under specs?

Posted

I don't know, it could be dangerous. For your wallet. >:D Assuming you are young like jinp6301, I wouldn't want to be responsible for any lack of saving on your part. Saving and investing your money is best when you're still young, each dollar will work for a longer period of time.

Heh, I'm pretty tight on my spending and don't see myself spending like you have these past few months. But it would be fun to just be able to compare so many headphones at one time.

Posted

Welcome to the fold Elephas! I've been enjoying my UX-1 for awhile now... I can't wait until my APL modified dv60 arrives to shoot it off against the stock UX-1 and Neil's modded unit.

APL hifi is nice because they do have an actual partnership with Esoteric (Only modding outfit to have that partnership) which allows them not only to source replacement parts that otherwise are not sold on any market (Transformers for voltage swaps... even the transport they will literally not sell to any other company though the cost is not.. cheap). And the guy knows his way around the stock units. I was having an issue with my UX-1 where the disc tray wasn't opening up all the way I emailed Alex on a Sunday morning and he had me drive up that day and he fixed it on the spot. Immediately diagnosed it as a massive misalignment due to being dropped (Probably by Fedex) and took the thing apart realigned/llubricated things till it was working better than before... free of charge.

That all being said. I totally understand where PFKman is coming from. A lot of modding outfits you don't know how reliable they are or even how long they will still be in business. You don't generally know before hand if they will build you a shoddy product that will fail and then refuse to take responsibility and fix it for free or cost of shipping. These are problems that sometimes crop up when not dealing with a relatively established company.

Still there are modding companies that are pretty established and guys that have good business practices so people who are pondering that thing just need to dig a little bit harder for info before they make a decision.

Posted

APL hifi is nice because they do have an actual partnership with Esoteric (Only modding outfit to have that partnership) which allows them not only to source replacement parts that otherwise are not sold on any market (Transformers for voltage swaps... even the transport they will literally not sell to any other company though the cost is not.. cheap). And the guy knows his way around the stock units. I was having an issue with my UX-1 where the disc tray wasn't opening up all the way I emailed Alex on a Sunday morning and he had me drive up that day and he fixed it on the spot. Immediately diagnosed it as a massive misalignment due to being dropped (Probably by Fedex) and took the thing apart realigned/llubricated things till it was working better than before... free of charge.

That all being said. I totally understand where PFKman is coming from. A lot of modding outfits you don't know how reliable they are or even how long they will still be in business. You don't generally know before hand if they will build you a shoddy product that will fail and then refuse to take responsibility and fix it for free or cost of shipping. These are problems that sometimes crop up when not dealing with a relatively established company.

Still there are modding companies that are pretty established and guys that have good business practices so people who are pondering that thing just need to dig a little bit harder for info before they make a decision.

The key here seems to be your proximity to alex more than anything else. It was damaged in shipping, but you were able to drive up there to get it fixed. If he'd been in albania, he could be the best guy in the world, and it wouldn't have helped much. And shipping stuff to him to get fixed can reportedly take forever. I know todd had major problems getting his sacd player back, a few years back. The local guys have the advantage of being able to have stuff done while they wait. These small modding shops quickly become overwhelmed by their success.

Posted

The key here seems to be your proximity to alex more than anything else. It was damaged in shipping, but you were able to drive up there to get it fixed. If he'd been in albania, he could be the best guy in the world, and it wouldn't have helped much. And shipping stuff to him to get fixed can reportedly take forever. I know todd had major problems getting his sacd player back, a few years back. The local guys have the advantage of being able to have stuff done while they wait. These small modding shops quickly become overwhelmed by their success.

This is also something I thought about being stuck on a rock in the middle of the Atlantic but my experience is that you get much better service from the smaller manufacturers as well as much better products on the whole. It might take some time but who cares, I've got a much better product for a lower price then anything sold at a dealer.

Posted

Hrm yes that's true.

Posted

if you do get the APL treatment, elephas, i would wait until you have an iron clad understanding of the stock sound.

Posted

if you do get the APL treatment, elephas, i would wait until you have an iron clad understanding of the stock sound.

APL doesn't do mods to the P-05/D-05 that I'm aware of but if he decides to go for a P-01 and two D-01's he can have them modded... ;D