Accuphase DP800/DC801 or Esoteric P-05/D05?

Elephas

Given a choice between the Accuphase DP800/DC801 or the Esoteric P-05/D05, which would you choose?   

2 members have voted

1. 1. Given a choice between the Accuphase DP800/DC801 or the Esoteric P-05/D05, which would you choose?

• Accuphase DP800/DC801
    • Esoteric P-05/D-05
    • Other

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I brought in my HE90 + Aristaeus to try with a local shop's demo CD players. The Puccini and X-01D2 both sounded superb. I thought the Puccini was warmer and smoother. The good news was I didn't think they were significantly better than my P-05/D-05/G-03X combination.

Here are a few photos from my camera phone.

HE90 + Aristaeus and dCS Puccini

HE90AristaeusPuccini.jpg

CDPs: Puccini lower left, X-01D2 middle top, mbl CDP middle bottom, X-03SE lower right

HE90AristaeusCDPs.jpg

X-01D2 closeup

X-01D2.jpg

The demo system included Verity Audio speakers

HE90vsVerityAudiospeakers.jpg

I didn't try the X-03SE during this session.

About two weeks ago, for about 30 minutes, I listened to the shop's speaker system while they switched between the X-03SE and Puccini, using the Verity Audio speakers and an mbl integrated amp.

Using only two discs, I thought the biggest difference was that the Puccini was significantly smoother and more refined than the X-03SE. It sounded more liquid. There was less treble glare while delivering what seemed to be an equal amount of treble details. The X-03SE actually seemed to be a bit harsh in the treble region comparatively. One song was repeatedly played, with only a female vocalist and a piano in the background. With the Puccini, the vocalist's voice had more presence, body, vibrancy and overall realism.

The degree of difference is difficult to describe. I think source differences at this level are more apparent after longer listening sessions. My session was very brief. Still, the difference was greater than I expected and somewhat surprising, because I've always liked the X-03SE and its great sound was one reason I bought the P-05/D-05.

The Puccini is much more expensive than the X-03SE, though. It's also roughly twice as much as the X-01D2, which I thought held its own very convincingly. Given a choice between the Puccini and X-01D2, I think I would go for the Esoteric.

And then become haunted by dreams of the Puccini's seductive and enchanting sound. Which I'm suffering from already, I think.