Accuphase DP800/DC801 or Esoteric P-05/D05?

Elephas

Given a choice between the Accuphase DP800/DC801 or the Esoteric P-05/D05, which would you choose?   

2 members have voted

1. 1. Given a choice between the Accuphase DP800/DC801 or the Esoteric P-05/D05, which would you choose?

• Accuphase DP800/DC801
    • Esoteric P-05/D-05
    • Other

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought my DP-500 to a local audio shop and spent a few hours comparing it with an Esoteric X-03 SE. They setup a pair of Avantgarde speakers and a matching integrated amp for the comparison. The room wasn't ideal, but good enough for comparison purposes.

They had two discs from the 2007 Hong Kong AV Show I was able to use. One is an SACD and the other an LPCD45 version. This way, the Accuphase could use the LPCD45 vs. the Esoteric's SACD, and both players could play the LPCD45 and the Red Book layer on the SACD. Other test CDs included "K2 HD Sound" from First Impression Music and "Jazz At the Pawnshop" SACD version.

I thought the X-03 SE sounded better than the DP-500 playing both Red Book CDs and SACDs.

The photos were taken with a camera phone, so quality isn't so good.

StereoSystem.jpg

X-03SEvsDP-500.jpg

EsotericX-03SE.jpg

AvantgardeIntegratedAmp.jpg

TestCDs.jpg

Nice choice of test CDs. The 2006 SACD/LPCD Perfect Sound is better than the 2007 IMHO.

The X-03SE is good indeed and the P05/D-05 is probably much better. Tempted? Who makes those small floorstanders and that silver integrated amplifier?

BTW, the colours are very vibrant considering you took those using a camera phone. You must have a very nice phone!

Oh my goodness... look at that poor DAC64 :'(

Just your SinglePowers to come then!

I'm going to burn-in the P-05/D-05 for about two weeks, and then run comparisons vs. the DAC64 and DP-500. I think the DAC64 and DP-500 are both a bit scared, but they should have enough spirit to put up a good fight.

Yes, I still have the DP-500. I thought I had a buyer but he backed out in favor of an SA-10 or SA-60. So the DP-500 has been moved to a bedroom rig and replaces a Lavry DA10 there. Its optical input will be put to use with an Airport Express.

I'm waiting for a Supra XLR and ES-1, but I should receive another electrostatic amp soon, and perhaps other amps.

No one will make fun of my inadequate amplification anymore, I'm telling you! :P;D

I'm going to burn-in the P-05/D-05 for about two weeks, and then run comparisons vs. the DAC64 and DP-500. I think the DAC64 and DP-500 are both a bit scared, but they should have enough spirit to put up a good fight.

Yes, I still have the DP-500. I thought I had a buyer but he backed out in favor of an SA-10 or SA-60. So the DP-500 has been moved to a bedroom rig and replaces a Lavry DA10 there. Its optical input will be put to use with an Airport Express.

I'm waiting for a Supra XLR and ES-1, but I should receive another electrostatic amp soon, and perhaps other amps.

No one will make fun of my inadequate amplification anymore, I'm telling you! :P;D

if you ever feel like donating to a poor asian kid, HERE I AM!!!

Bad news: I still haven't heard anything better than electrostats driven by the HeadAmp KGSS. :(

Good news: The P-05/D-05 is significantly better than the Chord DAC64 or DP-500. I've never tried the DAC64 with its matching Blu transport, though. If it is possible to connect the P-05's dual AES outputs to the DAC64's dual BNC inputs, I might be able to simulate the Blu.

I'm listening to RBCD upsampled to DSD with the SR-007 and KGSS. Before, I would usually listen with the volume knobs at 9 o'clock, or one step above or below. Now, I'm listening at 7:30 o'clock, three steps lower than before and only three steps up from zero. The detail level is such that I feel like I'm comfortably hearing everything at this volume level already.

I've always listened at what I considered to be moderate to low volume levels. I think protecting and preserving our hearing is especially important with headphone usage. If anyone is on the fence about a source upgrade, I recommend going for the highest quality you can afford immediately. Don't wait, don't muck around buying other crap such as additional headphones like I did, the source is first!

Sense of liquidity and smoothness is also excellent. If the sound improves any with burn-in, I'm going to be extremely impressed.

if you ever feel like donating to a poor asian kid, HERE I AM!!!

Noted!