VDA2 / VHP2 or HR Balanced Desktop?

USAudio

Hello!

Please let me know which you would prefer and why:

1) The CIAudio VDA-2 DAC and VHP-2 headphone amp, both with VAC1 power supplies.

OR

2) The HeadRoom Balanced Desktop. This model is now only available with the Home Modules and Home DAC.

I will be feeding the DAC's optical inputs via a SqueezeBox Classic.

Headphone suggestions welcome. Is going balanced worth the hassle of recabling headphones?

Music preferences: Primarily Rock and Acoustical. E.g. Rush, Pink Floyd, Jose Gonzalez, Dire Straits.

Channel Islands Audio

HeadRoom Balanced Desktop Amp @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Thanks for your feedback!

Wait a minute the dac is non optional now on the hr amp...:confused:

I guess you should stick to the dac/amp solution by headroom then. I still think you're better off getting an older desktop balanced without the dac, then using the vda2. It's a separate dac with a separate power supply, simple discrete output, yada yada... In my opinion the vhp(single ended, unless you buy two and then fiddle with cables and adapters) is just not in the same league as the hr balanced desktop for very obvious reasons...

I listened to the vda2 sans power supply with my own amp and hd580(single ended), and also listened to the hr balanced desktop with balanced hd580(at a meet) and would be happy with either. To be honest the vda2 is one of the few dacs in the world I would actually buy myself, and also the hr balanced desktop.

So basically, if you can, scout for a used amp only hr balanced desktop, and then get the vda2 and run the dac in balanced mode, otherwise having just the headroom combo isnt too shabby either. I just prefer both :P

• 1 month later...
love the VDA2 (and it's great! esp. with VAC1) but don't have the VHP.

or should I say "yet"?

I decided to go with the VHP2/VAC1 since I already had the VDA2/VAC1 and have read nothing but great things about the VHP2 ... especially for the price!

I've been very happy with it so far. It's dead quiet and sounds terrific. I'm happy so far with my choice. ;D