Bloody Hell -- Raal ribbon headphones

Dusty Chalk

Of Course if they could get them to perform nicely then sure we will see these go to market but that takes lots of R&D i am sure, and lots of R&D takes alot of effort and lots of effort takes a want from Alex....maybe the people on here and Headfi can drum up a bit of emails to push Alex to the point of more R&D and show him there is a real market potential for such a beast if he succeeds...

The response I got from Alex echoed the response that Srajan got initially, so I wouldn't be surprised if his interest waned again.

Well, bugger!

if they want someone to research the possibilities of these drivers, they can ship 'em my way. I'd be quite happy to do some research on them :D

You could try making a headphone from AMT drivers for fun, in the meantime:

Simply Speakers-Speaker Diaphragm Repair Kits, Parts for Tweeters, Midranges and Woofers

Actually, a transplant into a Lambda frame might work pretty well.

Edit: More sizes: http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-128&Category_Code=ESS-Diaphragms

looks v.interesting, remember seeing this a long while back. What is the issue that it cant get past the alpha stage?

They want to keep focused on their speakers and not get sidetracked with a headphone they're not sure would even sell. So no clue on timeline or potential price.. if they ever do go into any kind of production.

That's why we'd be happy to take over the testing stages for them ;)

They'd need to be pretty small and light. I looked into the availability of buying Raal ribbons but it seems they're not sold separately. I'd love to get my sticky mitts on a pair of them.

you can definitely order them separately. Here's one link:

RAAL 140-15D Ribbon Tweeter (with optional Amorphous Core) from Madisound

and

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=178&products_id=8323

They look to me like the standard RAAL ribbon offerings, so yes they're available... I could be wrong though ...

very good question :) I'd be worried about the bass response.

Also, I researched these RAAL ribbons quite a bit, and heard a couple projects with them. They are very nice sounding, but personally I preferred the Raidho units. I think the RAAL ribbons are really meant to be driven by tube gear (see their marketing stuff, they were almost designed this way) and that wasn't a limitation I was willing to accept at this price range...

Edited by luvdunhill

From the specs, it looks like they might be a touch -- how you say -- bass light?

EDIT: Too slow.