Ye Macce Threade

I went and did the demo at my local Apple Store. Expectations were low but I tried to keep an open mind.

Wow! First gen product, but this feels like it could be the future of computing. This is as impressive a demo as seeing something like HDR for the first time.

There is an amazing amount of polish for a first gen product. The video pass-through latency is supposedly under 12ms and feels quick enough as to almost be imperceptible. The hand and eye tracking are great. The ability to tune out the outside world worked very well, even in a busy Apple Store.

This is so much more impressive than the Oculus products, but for what it costs it had damn well better be!

Downsides? I want even more resolution than this. The FOV is good but not great. The apps that have been optimized for it are amazing, but most are just ported iPad apps. I also (nerd alert) found the foveated rendering very noticeable as to the high and low rez rendering and the drop off between the two.

Biggest downside is the cost. $3.5k is just a ton of money. If it was closer to $1k I’d be a lot more tempted to splurge.

Also, if this ever worked with Windows PCs for Sim Racing and Flight Simulators I’d buy it right now.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to Chicken Alley today because I had $20 store credit.

Pk3nWZY.jpeg

xB93efa.jpeg

I walked out with an A1407 27" Apple display for $20, because no one in there knew how to turn it on.  It has the old squarish magsafe power connector (which works with Mum's 2011 MBP, much to her surprise) and with a Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter, I can it get it to work with my M1 MBP.  It's quite a display, 1440p, LED backlist, Apple color accuracy.  It also has a hub function (wired ethernet, USB 2.0, FW800). 

I also picked up an Apogee audio interface and a Sunpak speedlite.  More on those later.  MV life is a trip.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Torpedo said:

My computer science knowledge is very limited, so I wonder if this could be true and if it could have any real world consequences:

What do you think?

most likely it was put there on behalf of a nation level actor in order to ensure access when needed.  It wouldn't be the first time, although it would be the first one I knew for an apple product.  

• Thanks 1