Difference between XLR Microphone cable and XLR-Balanced Audio Interconnects

shaizada

Not sure there is a difference that matters, other than when one wants to view the cable as a [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line]Transmission line[/ame] and "load" the devices on either end "properly" (explanation for this statement left off, since it is outside the scope of this thread -- we're talking getting really nitpicky here). Mic cables are designed for particularly long runs of particularly low-level signals, and are (particularly) shielded, so should be able to handle anything you throw at them. (I.E. They are usually used in more demanding situations than interconnects/audio cables would be.)

Nice...so "technically" it should be ok to use a well made XLR interconnect (a single and not the pair), as a microphone cable if the connections are the same on (XLR) on both ends that are suited for the job.

I just wanted to run it by you guys...

So there is no impedance issues or anything that are specific to microphone cables then right?

If all is well, he has his sights set on a nice Ohno Continuous Cast Copper cable he would like to use.

I'll wait for a few reply's to make sure and then just let him know it's good to go.

Screaming Oranges, thanks for the Mogami suggestion. I will make sure to pass it on to him.

Dusty Chalk, seems like XLR balanced cables are used on the same premises right? Long runs making sure the signal is intact end to end.

A little birdie told me that some guy in California who makes some really honkin' big amplifiers with thick aluminum faceplates and massive blue gauges on the front uses these available in terminated form here. SKU you want for 6' XLRs is "GAC-4/1-06NB" (NB = Neutrik gold pin plugs, NS=Neutrik standard, couple bucks cheaper per cable)... you'll need QTY 2 for L/R, total cost will be about US$58 plus shipping...
if these cables are good enough for these guys they've gotta be good enough for your buddy to use for recording!

Dusty Chalk, seems like XLR balanced cables are used on the same premises right? Long runs making sure the signal is intact end to end.
Have you seen some microphone cables? When I say long runs, I mean long runs. There's some videos of some shenanigans by Roger Daltrey of the Who where he throws the microphone up into the air and catches it a full second or two later. Do the math. And that's just the slack.

Microphone XLR cables are 80 ohms. AES-EBU Digital XLR cables are 110 ohms.

Both will work for balanced analog audio I suppose, but Blue Jeans Cable and River Cable (two I just checked) both use 110 ohm cables for their balanced analog audio offerings.

Interesting.

When I had a balanced set-up I was using Canare Starquad cables.

(the same that my dad uses in his recording studio)

I never thought twice about it, and I'm not too worried about noise. (especially when balanced)

However, I did think that my setup sounded grungy and dirty: (last paragraph of this comparison: UltimateAVmag.com: The Great Audio Cable Debate)

BUT I attribute that to my Lavry DA10. My setup was Lavry -> Balanced Beta22 -> Zu Mobius XLR'd HD650s

I didn't try any other DAC's on that rig however, so I can't really say. But I thought the Lavry sounded grungy with studio monitors as well.

Microphone XLR cables are 80 ohms. AES-EBU Digital XLR cables are 110 ohms.

Both will work for balanced analog audio I suppose, but Blue Jeans Cable and River Cable (two I just checked) both use 110 ohm cables for their balanced analog audio offerings.

Totally a non-issue for analogue audio transmission. Huge issue for digital.