All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. What are you EATING right now?

I will not post here again until until Easter as I am giving up pork rinds and malt liquor for lent...see you then.
  3. CanJam in NYC Feb 17-18

Any words on the STAX SRM-D10?
  4. Today
  5. What are you reading now?

I bought and read Black Man years ago... it was enjoyable, but I felt like I was missing something. Obviously, I should have read the other books. The book I think of immediately when the transference of consciousness is mentioned is Kiln People by David Brin... highly recommended.
  6. Guitar-Case

Meanwhile... https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/19/guitar-company-gibson-reportedly-facing-bankruptcy.html http://www.daytondailynews.com/business/gibson-guitar-company-facing-imminent-bankruptcy/UUQESYcO94O9RXfuraMQeJ/?ref=cbTopWidget
  7. The Headcase Stax thread

don't worry, it's nothing compared to the electricity that bit coin miners are wasting
  8. Fuck in snow

Same here. Mass panic.
  9. Fuck in snow

So far it's been a mild winter here in SB. However, we're getting our first "freeze warning" tonight. The forecast is for a low of 31F tonight followed by a high of 63F tomorrow. Brrrr.
  10. The Headcase Stax thread

And we need it to supplement the global warming........ btw, I think this global warming rubbish is all a sham and scam....
  11. Technical Assistance/Advice Thread

i'm dumb. no advice needed but can't delete post.
  12. And now what did you do TODAY?

We had a post match team dinner there and I must say the food was awful. The ribs,brisket and chicken tasted like regional airport food. I would not recommend this place to anyone. But on a somewhat brighter note, Lance with his team mate Ilya.
  13. I've been putting in a lot of hours with the Focal Clear on my L2 -- reasonably good match on low output impedance, very poor match on high impedance. I can't remember hearing another headphone so sensitive to high output impedance before, but it screws the bass all up. Understanding now why you make a DSHA-3F version, Doug.
  14. What are you listening to Part the Third

https://toundra.bandcamp.com/album/iii Instrumental Metal I mean, just check out "Lilim" https://toundra.bandcamp.com/track/lilim
  15. What are you EATING right now?

Homemade French Onion Soup. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Yesterday
  17. What are you reading now?

Great idea. One of my favourite cyberpunk novels. I was going to re-read it to see if I could spot more of the differences than I picked up on from memory. The whole trilogy is worth reading (Altered Carbon + Broken Angels + Woken Furies). I can recommend the two standalone novels as well -- Black Man and Market Forces.
  18. 2018 PCB Group Buy with TKD pots

I'm interested in some GRLV and HV boards. Is it cool If I just add myself to that spreadsheet? This is my first GB on here so I just want to make sure i'm follow proper etiquette.
  19. What are you reading now?

^^ Good call, just downloaded the audiobook.
  20. The Multi Amp aka Dynalo Mk2

Doing a spreadsheet is a great way to share information about the behavior of the amp. Thanks Pars
  21. The Headcase Stax thread

Yeah. Because winter is coming. Ali
  22. The Headcase Stax thread

845 in a megatron configuration is what you want
  23. The Headcase Stax thread

Why the morons chose the 300B as outputs beats me. But I guess DHT’s has always been the craze. Easier to market. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  24. The Headcase Stax thread

Hi I guess I will walk into the Lion's den! All kidding aside a new user here looking to jump on the Stax gravy train. Last year I jumped back into headphones after a 15 year absence - mostly spent with my 2 channel system which takes most of my time. I put together a tight system with the Utopia headphones and the new Sony Signature series Z1R/WM1Z and their TA-ZH1ES Dac/Amp. I am now looking to start with a small stand alone Stax system - partly because Stax is so highly regarded in my 2 channel world (Naim/Linn) and also because of a demo I had at my first CanJam last year of the 009/Blue Hawaii at the HeadAmp booth. I still cannot get that demo out of my mind one year later. With that said I do not want to jump full blast in (like I did with my Utopia's) and have been thinking about a stand alone Lambda system. I visited the Woo audio booth on Saturday at CanJam and had the opportunity to demo a 300 Anniversary and 500L through the 353 Anniversary amp. After that they were able to get their pair of 700's which were on loan at another show booth for me to demo - however the time I was able to spend with those was extremely short - just a quick few minutes. My first listen to the 300 anniversary's impressed me quite a bit however when I stepped up to the 500's I felt that everything improved. Better bass foundation and more realistic timber to the instruments as well as a more "mature" sound - and a bit less strident. My brief few moments with the 700 did not leave me thinking it was a step up. Bass was stronger however a bit muddy and it tended to cloud the out of head soundstage and airiness. The 353 amp was quite nice with all three headphones. For some reason I came away thinking the 500L was the sweet spot of all three. Better than the anniversary - and without the increased bass which I felt muddied things up. Looking to get some feedback here. I would have thought the 300 Anniversary would have been the sweet spot of the line considering it utilized certain parts of the 700? How is the 500 considered by people here? Thanks PS the only thing which clouds the issue is that I forgot to look at the 300's I was demoing to confirm they were 100% the anniversary edition (with the gold Stax tag). I emailed Woo and they said that hey were - however for some reason I am just not sure. The person at the booth was not the most knowledgeable and provided several bits of inaccurate information. They looked a bit beat up to be a brand new model!
  25. The Multi Amp aka Dynalo Mk2

Mini Dynalo After running the amp for over an hour, bias was 14+mA, so right where I want it to be. I thought it might be interesting to create a table or spreadsheet showing different users biasing and results, so I made a Google sheet, here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D5LDuRdupZRoWR-GfAd03fkFSBAMY4-E_VcYfCAI1Z0/edit?usp=sharing Go ahead and fill in your info if you like so this is available for all to see. Note: this is the first time I've created a Google sheet, so let me know if you can't edit it and I'll try to figure it out Heatsinks: I've been looking for some. The ones that @mypasswordis mentioned from ebay don't seem to be available any more, and I'm having a hard time finding any that appear to be suitable size. There are some I almost pulled the trigger on that were 50mm x 25mm, but the 25mm would leave the end transistors half covered. I could get the Fischer SK81/37.5/SA from TME and cut them in half, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible. I'd need enough for 3 amps. EDIT: Found these, 45 x 35 x 18mm on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/263051780518?var=562054192200
  26. The Headcase Stax thread

Class D output?
  27. The Headcase Stax thread

Given their past behavior...he could also just have been lying...
  28. The Headcase Stax thread

I asked about transformers and the Woo guy said no, but he may have thought I was only asking about output transformers.
  1. Load more activity