Liquid Lightning

seacard

> So, why haven't you posted there in 2 years?

Because the expertise & quality of discussion is high there & being clueless didn't feel I'd much to contribute. Unless I feel it'd be a benefit to someone I don't post.

> Clueless is an understatement.

> I especially like the thinly veiled threats among the moral high ground. Real classy.

There are no threats there. Thought most of the post was just a statement of obvious fact & that there are usually ramifications for one's actions.

Perhaps a bit over the top e.g. ones choosing to benefit a community such as this (the moral bit to which you refer?) & assuming you've any responsibility for others' actions.

Would be beneficial to most & what most would like to see I think is clarifying any errors in the content of the post. E.g. providing meaningful counterpoint/correction to any of its points. Don't expect that here, more just the FU posts that serve to support my post, but I'd like to be proven wrong here by any valid/justified debate or response.

We all get things wrong & overlook things and I'd like to be proven wrong on at least some of the points. Especially as several members here know me personally from meets, etc, that I had respect for & conversed with. May check in now & then to see if any of this happens.

You haven't stated anything that really requires much of a response. If there's someone in particular you're trying to defend above, you should specify. For example, if it's sachu, he's a self serving douchebag and there's quite a lot of evidence to back that up. Any company that chooses to associate itself with him gets painted with that brush.

What makes a number of you think the Liquid Fire or more importantly for me since I own one, the EHHA is poorly designed? I'm not an engineer or DIY'er, so caveman language would be great for me personally... :D

I'm not so hot on my EHHA, but I heard someone else's EHHA and thought it sounded pretty darn good and I really like my SOHA1 at least in terms of price/performance. Not sure what's up with my EHHA, it sounds worse than my SOHA. I assumed is was more to do with this specific build, but maybe that is part of the problem you're referring to.

Edited by rhythmdevils

Because the expertise & quality of discussion is high there & being clueless didn't feel I'd much to contribute. Unless I feel it'd be a benefit to someone I don't post.

> I especially like the thinly veiled threats among the moral high ground. Real classy.

There are no threats there. Thought most of the post was just a statement of obvious fact & that there are usually ramifications for one's actions.

Perhaps a bit over the top e.g. ones choosing to benefit a community such as this (the moral bit to which you refer?) & assuming you've any responsibility for others' actions.

Would be beneficial to most & what most would like to see I think is clarifying any errors in the content of the post. E.g. providing meaningful counterpoint/correction to any of its points. Don't expect that here, more just the FU posts that serve to support my post, but I'd like to be proven wrong here by any valid/justified debate or response.

We all get things wrong & overlook things and I'd like to be proven wrong on at least some of the points. Especially as several members here know me personally from meets, etc, that I had respect for & conversed with. May check in now & then to see if any of this happens.

You write a lot of words, but don't say much.

You are reminding me of the Hollywood Babylon expose of James Dean: lying there at the foot of the bar, begging us drunks to stub our cigarette butts out on your bare flesh.

What makes a number of you think the Liquid Fire or more importantly for me since I own one, the EHHA is poorly designed? I'm not an engineer or DIY'er, so caveman language would be great for me personally... biggrin.png

I'm not so hot on my EHHA, but I heard someone else's EHHA and thought it sounded pretty darn good and I really like my SOHA1 at least in terms of price/performance. Not sure what's up with my EHHA, it sounds worse than my SOHA. I assumed is was more to do with this specific build, but maybe that is part of the problem you're referring to.

Patience. Cavalli’s downfall will take meticulous planning.

3bBfe.jpg

Edited by johnwmclean

What makes a number of you think the Liquid Fire or more importantly for me since I own one, the EHHA is poorly designed? I'm not an engineer or DIY'er, so caveman language would be great for me personally... biggrin.png

High distortion, high feedback are the main reasons. It takes a bit of skill to combine these two factors into the same design since high feedback is often used to drive down the distortion of a crap circuit. Then we have people trying to use these amps to drive the LCD's which need clean power above all else. There was a post in the LF thread over there where somebody wasn't happy with the bass on his new LCD-3's... clearly a fault with the headphones and not the amp... facepalm.png

For price/performance I'd much rather have the M3, not that it doesn't have its issues.

Yep. My point was, he didn't start out as a paranoid, batshit crazy dictator. There was once a time in San Francisco when he was considered a thought leader. He did lots of charity work, and was a man of the people.

Well as the saying goes ---- Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

High distortion, high feedback are the main reasons. It takes a bit of skill to combine these two factors into the same design since high feedback is often used to drive down the distortion of a crap circuit. Then we have people trying to use these amps to drive the LCD's which need clean power above all else. There was a post in the LF thread over there where somebody wasn't happy with the bass on his new LCD-3's... clearly a fault with the headphones and not the amp... facepalm.png

For price/performance I'd much rather have the M3, not that it doesn't have its issues.

do you have any measurements to back these claims up? what's your beef with the M3?

do you have any measurements to back these claims up? what's your beef with the M3?

Let me challenge you for a second here. Are there any commercial headphone amp companies that provide distortion numbers that are the result of measurement equipment that would be considered industry standard? How many of these companies own a AP for example?

To stretch a point to make a point, I wonder how Headamp would substantiate the distortion numbers on their electrostatic amplifiers?

Edited by luvdunhill

Let me challenge you for a second here. Are there any commercial headphone amp companies that provide distortion numbers that are the result of measurement equipment that would be considered industry standard? How many of these companies own a AP for example?

how many companies are shitting on other designs and making personal attacks in a public forum? if you're going to engage in this, at least have some measurements to back your claims up.

how many companies are shitting on other designs and making personal attacks in a public forum? if you're going to engage in this, at least have some measurements to back your claims up.

How many companies are using Shills instead of measurements to advertise their diuretics amps?

All i can answer to is what i do. Justin sells some of my designs. When i buy

stuff from him, i pay exactly the same price everyone else does. For example

the pico dac. The rubber feet... A few circuit boards... Justin on ocassion does

sell his circuit boards to others, he does not restrict who can buy them.

I do other stuff too. And i'm fair about it, when its ready, everyone gets

to see it at the same time. And i give away everything, to anyone.

No hidden super secret special version bullshit.

Now all of a sudden NoNoNoNoNoNo has access to several "DIY" LL board sets.

Anyone else have access to those boards? Will alex sell any boards to

anyone else, highly unlikely. If NoNoNoNoNoNo builds only the one, and keeps

it for himself, that is one thing, but if he builds a few, then clearly

there is something fishy going on here.

I'm birgirs shipping agent for the USA. He buys stuff, sends it to me, i pack

it correctly and ship it to iceland. Chicago to Reykjavik is about 4 days faster

than NY to Reykjavik. Why, i have no clue. Birgir sends back tasty things

loaded with sugar. VERY TASTY THINGS. In the process i get to listen

to stuff that i would never have considered buying. And when i listen

to something kickass, i go and buy it shortly afterwards. Like the LCD2's.

Other than Sennheiser, i don't know of any headphone amplifier company

that has high end test gear. The stuff is expensive and hard to maintain.

I own some very nice test gear. Tyll owns some very nice test gear.

Audeze owns some very nice test gear. Pete probably has access to

the good stuff too. Alex says he designs stuff with just a voltmeter.

Measuring distortion and other characteristics of an electrostatic amp

requires special high voltage attenuators that have to be calibrated.

Otherwise your test gear gets french fried.

In the interest of full disclosure, blubiss sends me freshly roasted

coffee beans. Which i have become addicted to.

Edited by kevin gilmore

many, i assume. how about the relationship between Spritzer/KG/Justin?

Them being people I consider friends, same as with most people on this site and the entire Stax mafia? If I buy something from Justin I pay full price, same as everybody else but I did in fact pay more than everybody else for my BHSE. One part was the shipping to Iceland which is silly expensive but I also forced his hand to let me pay with Paypal but I insisted to pay the fees. This was in October 2008 when the Icelandic economy was in ruins and I had no way of moving funds out of the country and no idea when I'd be able to do so. I don't like owing anybody anything so I insisted to pay now with the funds I had sitting in the US.

With Cavalli things aren't this straight forward and we have proof of the dirty dealings with that DIY LL. NoNoNoNoNoNo brings up the LL at every chance he gets and now he suddenly has access to a DIY version? This looks like payment for services rendered to me. If he "loans it out" then he's just shilling for Cavalli sane as with his "DIY" LF. We do know that the corruption goes far deeper than that and it will all be revealed in due time. To me this brings up memories of the Beresford drama...

As for the amps, Cavalli has admitted in the past that he has no idea how any of these designs perform. There are no measurements done which we naturally have. How do you think KG came up with the fixed Exstata that actually works, has low distortion and doesn't require anything more than matched input fet's?

As for the M3, it would have been far better if run of a bipolar PSU and with a fully discrete input stage. Ti clearly a fixed idea about what he wanted from that amp so he designed around that. I for one built mine to use a cheap 24V supply I had sitting here but never used it... facepalm.png