chinese company purchases stax?

cobra_kai

A future glimpse into Stax police.gif

gpileup.jpg

laugh.png

this is an interesting and weird development. i agree that reading between the lines, Stax must have been in some sort of financial trouble to settle for such a small asking price.

the way I look at it, this could either be a really good thing or a really bad thing. other audio companies have been taken over by the chinese, and continued to release good products at reasonable prices.

To me, guessing the age of the current owner at Stax, it feels like he simply wanted to get out before it's too late (economic conditions, non-viability of a 5kUSD headphone business model, increasing production costs in Japan in lights of the current energy crisis...). Companies often get bought for much less than fair value when the owner(s) wants out.

Only thing I can hope is that there remains a design and support unit in Japan even if some of the manufacturing will inexorably be shifted to China (Japanese companies often manufacture high-end products in Japan and lower range units in China / Tailand and so on).

Chinese people are very sensitive to the origin of a product, just like other markets of high end audio. So, I am pretty certain Stax won't have the same image in China if manufacturing is completely shifted there (ignoring the facts it's apparently not that easy to manufacture something like the 009).

The target is and will remain relatively deep pockets (esp. in the Chinese market). Chinese people who afford such stuff typically value the brand / foreign manufacture much more than the product itself, and actually absolutely don't mind paying through the nose (on the contrary, it's part of the social statement).

Also, I don't believe you can actually mass market ES gear as there is likely no market for it (people buying cheap gear couldn't care less how it sounds). Even if the SR009 was half the price, I don't think they'd be selling 100x more units. Likely would sell more units, but it would still be a ridiculously small market.

I agree with a lot of your points. Particularly about the fact that there is almost no market for this stuff. One of the bits that I really don't like about the acquisition report was the part where edifier specified that they are looking to establish a new brand that produces portable electrostatic headphone systems to lower entry level. (公司还计划推出基于静电技术的新品牌,以便携式的静电耳机产品为主打,进一步拉低售价门槛) This strikes me as wishful thinking, especially when there are already competing technologies that do a better job. It also goes against what they stated in their risk assessment. (由于耳机行业竞争激烈,虽然STAX在静电耳机技术上存在较大的优势,但是静电耳机技术有可能会被更先进技术替代,如果公司不能进一步在产品的各项新技术开发方面继续投入、提升,也可能会被市场淘汰。- Stax has technological advantages, but it may be replaced by other technologies.) It really tells you how much research edifier has done before buying stax.

However, edifier does have a larger distribution network than stax, so we'll have to wait and see how they try to market it in the future. Given how well everyone here knows about this company, that is.

i think a lot of these companies end up in a 3-5 million annual revenue area, with no growth, and having to support a full management staff and all the crap that goes with being large enough to be a 'real' business. i guess it's hard to break out of that without going Monster/Skullcandy on your product line

Is this your way of preparing us for your impending sale of HeadAmp to Edifier?

The Chinese could ride out the current product line for 5 years. They don't need R&D anytime soon.

They could just be getting the rights to make the gear in the current product line and run with it, and just

cut costs. Then take the Stax name and hang it on to whatever new product line they have sitting out there,

even traditional headphones. Stax dynamics? Most likely going to happen.

Quad started making dynamic speakers on a large scale after the takeover. I would bet that they now form the bulk of all revenue for the brand. It's telling that theres no 140watt+ current dumping power amp in the new Elite range.

I love my 909. I think the new QSP is the more or less direct replacement, or "by-product," as the brochure charmingly terms it:

The QSP Stereo Power Amplifier is a by-product of the famed Quad 909 Stereo. This product was designed in keeping with the traditional built of QUAD Power Amplifiers, but is right up with the latest technology and the finest audiophile components available. With 140W per channel into an 8 ohm load, and plenty more into lower impedances ensures that there is ample power into a wide range of speakers, including the QUAD ESL range.

Current Dumping - The QSP Amplifier incorporates QUAD's patented current dumping technology developed by QUAD's founder Peter Walker, and is one of the finest audio amplifiers available.

Back on topic, I'm reminded of the quick decline of Luxuman (home market excluded) once Apline got hold of it. In that case the brand dilution was pretty comprehensive and caused long-term harm. I guess there are exceptions, including some of the Quad gear under IAG, but they seem now to have become the Chinese Harmon, with new brands being added pretty regularly (including Lux). Maybe Stax will eventually form a prestige part of a higher-end headphone portfolio, in which case the product's continued excellence will be a little more important to its new owners.

k

Edited by kirkwall

My whole issue with IAG has to do with zero innovation of the electrostatics because they simply don't have the know how to do so. Adding a strut to a floating frame and simply adding on some extra panels just confirms that. They are still great speakers but that's just because of a truly gifted design.

As for Stax, only time will tell how this will play out but I don't really see how they will pull off portable Stax headphones. The amps can be made tiny with modern parts and very efficient drivers but they will never be as convenient as something with a 3.5mm plug...

I agree about IAG and innovation. Their strategy seems to be to pick up pedigreed brands with a decent back catalogue of solid designs and then exploit the labor-cost differential to turn a nice profit. All of which is fine, I guess. But they seem to do little to take the products forward themselves beyond the odd new case or hired-gun designer. Great marques like Quad and Luxman -- and now Stax -- seem to deserve so much more.

I don't know much about the high-end watch industry, but I came across a story recently about "timepiece tourism," in which Chinese tourists to Europe have become leading consumers of top-end Swiss watches that can be guaranteed authentic. Perhaps the cachet of made-in-Japan Stax will mean that the high-end production stays put.

k

My whole issue with IAG has to do with zero innovation of the electrostatics because they simply don't have the know how to do so. Adding a strut to a floating frame and simply adding on some extra panels just confirms that. They are still great speakers but that's just because of a truly gifted design.

As for Stax, only time will tell how this will play out but I don't really see how they will pull off portable Stax headphones. The amps can be made tiny with modern parts and very efficient drivers but they will never be as convenient as something with a 3.5mm plug...

step 1: make portable headphone

step 2: put STAX on it

Regarding IAG, I'm just about to get the 989 speaker back from service. Glue failure, same as the other speaker. Not uncommon since the move from Quad in the UK, apparently. Very glad it's still under warranty. Apparently, internally, the 989 and the 2809 are exactly the same. Externally is a different story. At least I got the wooden tops for my pair, rather than ugly plastic.

They sure sound great when they're working properly. Hopefully, the buy out won't mean a compromise in the legendary Stax reliability and quality. Time will tell I guess.

Am I the only one who thinks that this might be for the better in the long run for their brand name? With proper financial backing from Edifier and their distribution network (we're still waiting for a proper local distributor are we not?), who knows they can make the company competitive once more.

The build quality with the modern Quad stuff is indeed a problem. Basic stuff such as the glue to use for the diaphragm isn't all so easy to do correctly and it's clear IAG missed some of the finer points of the ESL63 design. Such as the very frugal British way of having all the circuits of separate PCB's so if one fails you just change that one instead of scrapping the whole thing.

The build quality with the modern Quad stuff is indeed a problem. Basic stuff such as the glue to use for the diaphragm isn't all so easy to do correctly and it's clear IAG missed some of the finer points of the ESL63 design. Such as the very frugal British way of having all the circuits of separate PCB's so if one fails you just change that one instead of scrapping the whole thing.

That's common on just about everything made lately.. One board=cheaper to build. And makes it a paper cup. Use it once and throw it away.

Google Translation:

To all concerned, love STAX open letter to friends

Dear friends, Hello, everyone!

First of all thank you for the future high-end headphone brands STAX concern about the fate, which fully demonstrate the company's many years of painstaking research STAX electrostatic unique sound technology has been recognized by the depth of the majority of enthusiasts.

Recently, fans around the world are in the hot EDIFIER purchase STAX company news, fear will destroy the STAX EDIFIER acquired the brand. Therefore, I would like to take this platform to the majority of fans to be a short note to you to dispel the doubts.

In fact, I myself STAX enthusiasts and users, many years ago was her way of creating a unique sound that captured the hearts of the pure tone, he has to buy two sets. When I first heard her dream to see her when the creator of the dream can introduce her to more people who love good sound. Over the years EDIFIER are constantly improving their quality and ability to present, we can already have a disdain for industrial design standards, with the level of advanced manufacturing industry, also has a strong global marketing and service network, which everything is approved we can get STAX key, I had a dream finally realized long ago.

EDIFIER as chairman, I know STAX of brand, know the meaning contained in the brand; I also understand that each brand has its own limited field covered, why the brand in the minds of consumers a broad and would become more it will narrow the stronger; I know very well what STAX give EDIFIER, EDIFIER can provide any thing for the STAX; I understand why the majority of fans worried, why should such a violent reaction. After all, we have examples of brands around more spoil was countless. Here I briefly EDIFIER plan.

First STAX will continue to operate independently of the way down and is always operating, STAX current operations team, including Mr. Meguro Yang made himself, will complete preserved; all STAX brand products in Japan continue to maintain 100% of the R & D, manufacturing; all classic product lines will continue, and EDIFIER will increase funding for research and development, making the STAX in the current design based on the combination EDIFIER good industrial design, to research and development to create a more attractive electrostatic headphones products.

Secondly, EDIFIER will use its global marketing and service network of comparative advantage, in the current marketing channels, based on STAX to provide users with faster, more efficient, more detailed service.

Again, STAX excellent electrostatic technology will be used for the EDIFIER, we will introduce in the STAX and EDIFIER between the new brand, new brand EDIFIER will rely on strong manufacturing capability, to ensure 100% STAX electrostatic monomer production, while the remaining part of the factory production EDIFIER to users to launch relatively cheap, easy to use electrostatic headphones products, of course, this new product guaranteed not called STAX.

Please rest assured that the majority of enthusiasts, you are the love of brands and products will not disappear, and all will be renewed in accordance with STAX own, Everbright. STAX this small but signs will be in care for all of us to be left under a more glittering.

STAX will continue to offer matching 009 power amplifier, STAX product design will be more beautiful, STAX will provide better consumer experience, STAX will provide more attentive service, but the key to everything - STAX is still the STAX.

Once again, thank you!

I wish you all good health, everything goes!

EDIFIER chairman and general manager Zhang Wendong

December 12,

Edited by Clarkmc2

blah blah blah blah, were you expecting this guy to say that they will screw up Stax by moving production to China, then using the brand to name crappy dynamic cans made by Edifier? I'll believe any of that when I see any Stax electrostatic headphone made in 3-5 years still wearing a "made in Japan" sticker and sounding every bit as good as current units.