Recommendations for a scanner?

I'd like to create a database of the rear album "art" of my Blue Note LPs, often containing many historical facts about the music or musicians.

So the scanner needs to be at least 12x12. Attached an image below for what an average rear cover would look like.

Any recommendations?

post-236-0-71201600-1323657643_thumb.jpg

ah, I need a scanner too. I'm currently using a canoscan LiDE 500F. but it's not large enough to scan oversized books that my mom has. It doesn't work with mac either, so mom can't use it with her laptop. So I've been looking for a new one as well. Let me know what you found.

Not that it matters since scanner size is the issue here, but it does work with Mac, as I've been using mine for few years now.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Yep, it works on Lion. Open "Print & Scan" under System Preferences and the scanner *should* be listed there, assuming drivers are still installed. Double-click on the scanner and it'll open up the scanning window. Make sure the scanner's connected, though just plugging it in doesn't give any indication that it's going to work. Also, none of the physical buttons ever worked for me, at least on Mac.

Yep, it works on Lion. Open "Print & Scan" under System Preferences and the scanner *should* be listed there, assuming drivers are still installed. Double-click on the scanner and it'll open up the scanning window. Make sure the scanner's connected, though just plugging it in doesn't give any indication that it's going to work. Also, none of the physical buttons ever worked for me, at least on Mac.

Hey! That Work! Thank. :D

It's so much more fun to hold the album when you're reading it, so why bother with a digital image?

I prefer to listen to them without doing anything else. Turn off computer, lights, etc. And it's easier to find an image if I want to look something up later on, as the Wikipedia articles for these albums suck.

For the old P&S, mount it on a tripod so you can get the lens parallel to what you're shooting. (Set the timer, too, to avoid jiggling the camera.) Once it's on the tripod, you can just slide the album covers through and not have to do anything to the camera. Then process the shots through ps as a batch. Badaboom.

...or try an Epson. I've heard good things about them as well, and the software that comes with it might have some OCR abilities.

• 1 month later...