Desktop

Spychedelic Whale

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I must say I'm really surprised with their sound. The soundstage and immersion its something really weird in the good way. The stereo image is amazing when in the sweespot, it kinda feels like a headphone.

These are very detailed, the hights extend well but I can listen to them for hours and hours and never get ear fatigue. Maybe the most satisfying sound so far for me, including the headphones, I like it.

• 1 year later...

I see you have already made your choice, but for those browsing this thread looking for some great near field monitors I have to recommend the Neumann's. I had a listen to the KRK's, Adam's, Focal's, Genelec's, Yamaha's, Presonus's Yorkville's, M-Audio's, Fostex's, Dynaudio's, Mackies, Alesis's, Focusrite's, Behringer's, and JBL's, but it was the little Neumann KH120's that blew me away.

I like my sound to be coherent between both L/R (not isolated) to the point where the speakers/headphones disappear and you're immersed in wide stage of precise imaging, The Neumann's and JBL's where the only ones that could do this for me. 

When it came to buy time for my computer set-up I upgraded to the Neumann KH310 A's. These monitors are just WOW! The KH310's are extremely neutral with great imaging. Mono vocals just hover in front of you like you could reach out and grab them, perfect hight and all. The low-end is deep and precise with extreme speed, first time I've experienced such low-end imaging, something you can't get with a sub. Highs are clear and crisp blending beautifully into the revealing mids, and mids blending into lows with no weight difference. The whole band blends together like a single driver speaker or headphone would. I was all about headphones for what they offer over speakers but these monitors offer more than I would ever expect from the best headphones. Detail, Resolution, immersion...all there.

Ya their price might scare off some, but IMO worth every penny and then some.

P1000048.jpg

• Like 1

glad you like the neuman monitors, and welcome to head-case!

while i'm happy with my Rega RS1s I've been researching active studio monitors lately. Been reading about the various Dynaudio models, the Adam A7x, Mackies, etc. Actives just make sense to me, and i find myself drifting more in the direction of accuracy and resolution, as opposed to the past few years where warmth and fun have been more my priorities. Particularly hearing the HD800 again after many years brought me right back to the joy peering directly into a recording can bring, even if the end picture is ugly.

The first song I listened to when I got my HD800 Friday was '39 by Queen, the MFSL mastering. Not the greatest recording in the world, but being able to hear every little thing in that recording exactly as it was recorded was a really moving experience. Was one of those moments when I remember why I got into this hobby in the first place.

I'm thinking a Benchmark DAC2 + a dope set of studio monitors would be a hell of a nearfield system if pure brutal resolution is the goal. just need to get infinite money.

Edited by postjack

Thanks for the welcome, I'm just thrilled I found this site.

Ya I've kinda converted or blended into the pro gear instead of "Audiophile" for this set-up. Ya Audiophile has that wow and inspirational factor at times but I wanted the truth with best bang for the buck so I figured I'd go for pro and by measurements and see where it took me... gota say kinda impressed considering what I paid into it and what I got out of it. 

As you can see the lack of aftermarket cables, just a junk Eichmann PC left over and Grovers for my XLR cables. Since I had to get XLR's I figured I might as well go with a cable that I trusted in the past (great neutral cables BTW). 

There were many times I almost bought the HD800 but now that the AKG has come out with the 812 I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go. AKG claims they're going for the pro recording sound with this Headphone so... still not sure. 

As for my Benchmark DAC-1 HDR  IMO doesn't have the best Headphone amplification. The XLR out seems quite good though. You can peer into its sound through the headphone amp which seems dry dull and boring but very good technical aspects. Stage is wide, imaging is spot on, balance is perfect, and neutral. Considering giving the Wadia 121 a try though , which kind steers away from pro and probably offers flaws like the 581ise where you could hear the toroidal transformer flux though one channel due to design flaws. Not sure about this one either.

Active monitors make tons of sense and IMO the only choice for a desktop rig. When auditioning; the runner ups where the Genelec's, JBL's, and Adam's. Not sure why the Dynaudio's or Focal's are so popular and recommended though.

RudeWolf if you are looking for some small monitors and can spare a bit more cash I highly recommend the Neumann KH120 over the Adams. Although it all comes down to preference I recommend (if you can) at least audition between the two. The Neumann's IMO offer better performance in every aspect except highs which are just different then better or worse.

I totally love my Genelec 8050's and for the most part think studio monitors are a great way to go. They can be tougher to audition but when you get the chance they re worth a listen. The main issue I have with mine is they perform stunningly well in the near to mid field but are  very good bit not as good set up in traditional speaker distances of 8-10 ft.

As you can see the lack of aftermarket cables, just a junk Eichmann PC left over and Grovers for my XLR cables. Since I had to get XLR's I figured I might as well go with a cable that I trusted in the past (great neutral cables BTW). 

Careful now, comments like this cause the BS meter to twitch in a major way.

What I like the cables... That's why I bought them in XLR.

Now that I use XLR I have no need for the RCA's, that's why they are for sale. That money from the sale I was planning on donating to this site anyway...

But anyway don't want to go off topic. Sorry If it seemed like pitching.