CES 2012 Headphones

Grahame

No doubt there will be plenty of announcements at CES 2012 of interest to us, so I thought I'd start a thread to keep track of the headphones announced at the show . Who knows, maybe we can encourage Tyll, or other visitors to get a closer look for us.

I'll start off with something interesting (thanks to google translate)

Sennheiser introduces the high-end HD 700 Headphones

5e89249c71.jpeg

google webcache of (pulled) B&H had it priced @ $999.95

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also this... http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_expression-line_505573

Amperior_silver_3_610x615.jpg

Frequency response 16 - 22000 Hz Impedance 18 Ω Sound pressure level (SPL) 120 dB THD, total harmonic distortion < 0.3 % (1 kHz/100 dB)

Not sure if I like the color. Also the 18 Ohm driver seems strange, haven't seen 18 Ohms outside IEM's. Maybe I'll just buy the drivers someday.

(re: HE-400) Manufacturer's posted specs bah! Wait until someone in the real world (Tyll?) measures them and some real ears hear them.

I'm more interested to see how few people with $1K to spend on headphones can't find another $500 to get the HD800 and get the HD700 instead (probably what will drive their market price down) - and how many on that other site fill the cups with dynamat and TP and say they're better than the HD800 (without dynamat and TP, of course).

Dammit, Sennheiser. As fine as your phones do sound, they are equally hideous to behold. They need to hire more artsy folks, because, yes, looks do matter.

Yes, quite fugly IMO. Who was that fuck at HF that went on and on incessantly about how badly it bothered him that the HD800 cost so much and yet the design included some plastic elements? The twerp just wouldn't shut up about it for months. David somebody. Anyway, imagine his reaction to these things.

They aren't a "darker" HD 800 but a lighter, more comfortable, less expensive, easier to drive 800 that aren't as smooth in the upper mids and treble as the HD 800.

I did notice the sibilance more on the HD 700- especially if using certain "test tracks". The 700 can be more fatiguing in this area. That would be my main issue with the 700.

Except the HD800 doesn't have a smooth upper mid and treble. Quite grainy and peaky actually and that's why it works best with tube amplification to smooth the quirks out.

So if we assume his impressions are accurate I wonder how painful the upper mid and lower treble of the HD700 are going to be, DT990-like?

Heard the HD 700 ... sounded a bit thin, but miserable listening conditions, so I really have no idea.

They gave me a new Amperor (the facelifted HD 25-1 II), yeah these things rock the boat. Everything that the HD25-1 is plus seemingly slightly better sound and aluminum cups. I got the blue ones ... much prettier than the silver.

Heard the HE-400, again miserable listening conditions, but it sounded like it had significantly too much treble energy.

Stumbled on the Yoga booth (http://www.yoga.com.tw/), went through there wall of cans .... WTF, these sound okay ... all of them. Turns out they'r and OEM/ODM maker. Their CD-990 is the Fischer Audio FA-003.

Tried the AfterShockz bone conduction headphones. Cute trick, but you can hear the driver next to the ear in addition to the bone conducted info, and it sounds shitty. If you plug your ears it sounds not bad (no highs or lows though, just kind of murky as you'd expect). The thing is that if you turn it up in order to get some bass they end up bouncing on the side of your head. Feels like someone taped a butterfly to you cheek bone.

Tyll, can you nicely ask Senn WTF they are thinking with the 700? Interesting, too, that they took a price increase on the 800, I hadn't noticed that, and then slid these in. I get that they're in it to make money, but raising price on the flagship so they can also introduce flagship light is REALLY cheesy.

Market Segmentation, Price discrimination?

Edited by Grahame

They need to hire more artsy folks, because, yes, looks do matter.

Agreed. We all require good sound, but it sure doesn't hurt to look bad ass, too!

I believe that the President of Pass Labs, Desmond Herrington, has a background in Industrial Design. He designs the case work for them and I want to say he did some work for Krell before that (could be wrong on that point). Now for sure, Nelson's great circuit design comes first, but having someone in a leadership position who understands having bad ass looks acknowledges its importance.