CES 2012 Headphones

Grahame

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'll tell you what there loss was: They had bimbos fronting the shop who I knew had no idea what they were selling. And they had buoncer like suits guarding the shakedown room (in back). I would have talked to them, but I had no interest of running the gauntlet of guardsmen who would have no idea who I was.

That was their loss.

I would have talked to them, but I had no interest of running the gauntlet of guardsmen who would have no idea who I was.

That was their loss.

You should have whipped it out. They would have said, "Welcome Mr. Hiolmes... but I thought you were dead!?!?" No, wait. I'm confusing you with Steve again.

Compare and contrast with Tyll's experience with Phillips ( spelled Jennifer smile.png ) . Maybe, just maybe, design and engineering can trump Marketing BS.

Ruh roh. Did I spell her name wrong? Or are you just drawing attention to the fact that despite it being the furthest thing from my mind at the time, my opening remarks of the video can be taken as VERY creeper like. facepalm.png

Really ... by "every thing is worth a look at," I didn't intend to mean her.

She was fun to be around and easy on the eyes, I must admit.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

Fuckinay! ... in my head.

IRL, I fucking shrugged and walked on to the next fucking thing.

Well ... I pondered on at least two separate occasions taking further photos od said white spandex cladded bimbos. Their curvaceousness was certainly tantalizing.

Saddly, I was a geek on a mission. So, I took my powder blue backpack full of gadgets out of there.

They were fuckin' hot as lightning, though.

The HD-800 is a very well damped headphone. If you drive them with an amplifier with a very low output impedance, they will be over damped and sound bright and a bit thin. On the other hand, if you drive them with an amplifier that has some output impedance, the damping factor will be less, and they will sound fuller, warmer, and bloomier. Contrarilly, something like the HD-650 is less well damped and thus does much better with an amplifier with a very low impedance. This, however, has little to do with tubes vs. solid state.

It is true that most tube amplifiers have a higher output impedanace than most solid state amplifiers. There are a variety of semi-inherent reasons for this -- for instance, tubes generally have lower transconductance. But, when comparing something like the Eddie Current amps vs. say a B22, it has more to do with amplifier topology than anything else. However, it is not the case that tubes amplify different frequencies, or sound much different than transistors, or anything like that. Indeed, the differences are really overblown by many people. Instead, it is that tubes tend to be used in certain ways, and transistors tend to be used in different ways, leading to many gross generalizations about how tubes sound like this, and transistors sound like that.

So, what I am trying to say is that I think you are ascribing traits to tubes and transistors that are actually traits of topologies, and not the devices themselves.

Dsavitsk, sorry for the late response but thank you for that enlightening post! I appreciate it very much. I guess it's the higher output impedance of these tube amplifiers that contribute to the smoother sound with the HD800 in the end, that explains a lot. That would also explain my agreement with Knuckledragger that the B22 sounds amazing with the HD600/650.

Ck3t, what is this, please stay on topic. :) So where were we? Ah yes, when tyll said skinny landscape instead of cityscape in the philips video, lol ;).

BTW Tyll, really great show report (for lack of a great show). The videos and short stories are neat way to make the report, I enjoyed it!

Tyll, can you nicely ask Senn WTF they are thinking with the 700? Interesting, too, that they took a price increase on the 800, I hadn't noticed that, and then slid these in. I get that they're in it to make money, but raising price on the flagship so they can also introduce flagship light is REALLY cheesy.

Manufacturing costs go up and there has not been a price increase on the 800 for three years - maybe???