CES 2012 WTF

bhjazz

I can't quite tell which direction this goes. If you have to be on your home network how large does your house have to be for this to be useful? And what are you doing that doesn't require physically moving clothes?

Samsung announces AllShare Control washing machine you can control from your smartphone

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/1/9/2695006/samsung-washing-machine-apps-smartphone-control

Doesn't seem very useful in a washing machine. I could see it in something like a stove, for remote turn on/off and temp control. Or similar for a coffee maker.

What I want is a fridge that will keep track of what I have in it and make me a grocery list every week, or tell me what ingredients I need to buy for a given recipe.

Doesn't seem very useful in a washing machine. I could see it in something like a stove, for remote turn on/off and temp control. Or similar for a coffee maker.

What I want is a fridge that will keep track of what I have in it and make me a grocery list every week, or tell me what ingredients I need to buy for a given recipe.

You need Wife 2.0 :)

• Like 1

Wait, you don't think it'll be convenient to carry your clothes to the laundry room, put all the clothes in, plus the detergent and the softener, but then wait until you walk to the other side of the house before you do the settings and push start? Or maybe while standing in front of the washing machine, in the interest of pissing off your sig-o, you can shout to your sig-o on the other side of the house what settings you want and to start the machine. Or maybe if you're having a really big fight about not sharing in the housework, you can text message the settings to the other person on the other side of the house while you're standing in front of the machine. Thus, the other person can share in the housework by doing the settings and pushing start. Or if you need to get revenge for something, like say your sig-o cheated on you, you can secretly change the gentle cycle to heavy duty cycle in the middle of a load from across the house to ruin the other person's new wool sweater.

The possibilities are endless!

Perhaps the coolest thing i've seen at CES so far. The WVIL camera. It's wierd that no sites have covered it though...propably not ready for prime time yet.

I'm trying to remember where I saw that this was faked, but it's fake. It also surfaced from last year's CES.

Because some companies just don't get it, this thread is dedicated to the weird, the "you missed the concept" and the WTF.

For starters:

"...with a retro-vacuum tube look"

650-hero2-625x480.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/18/hanwas-tube-powered-usb-dongle-promises-dts-audio-on-the-go/

Yeah, this has been around for a while now... Still kinda looks cool, no?

**BRENT**

It's bugging me that nearly all appliances are becoming computer-controlled. The controller broke on our vacuum last year (~$250 to fix), and now the one on our reasonably new (but off warranty) washing machine is having problems. Repairing/replacing the computer board costs about the same amount as a new machine. I don't know why it's so desirable to be able to remotely control appliances if the tradeoff is in their lifespan. Well, okay, from a manufacturer's and retailer's perspective, it makes perfect sense, but for the rest of us, I say WTF.

It's bugging me that nearly all appliances are becoming computer-controlled. The controller broke on our vacuum last year (~$250 to fix), and now the one on our reasonably new (but off warranty) washing machine is having problems. Repairing/replacing the computer board costs about the same amount as a new machine. I don't know why it's so desirable to be able to remotely control appliances if the tradeoff is in their lifespan. Well, okay, from a manufacturer's and retailer's perspective, it makes perfect sense, but for the rest of us, I say WTF.

i agree. had to pay to have my 5 year old GE refrigerator repaired last year. i'm not sure what is available that isn't crap.

^

This is the repair guy that we have used for 15 years, and co-workers have as well. His recommendations are usually pretty spot on. Buy basic quality (the guts) first. Only add bells and whisltes if you have to have them. A fridge that the compressor goes tits up on, but still can talk to the internet is pretty useful, no? :rofl:

http://www.allbrandservicenaperville.com/products.html