Emotiva Pro Airmotiv powered speakers

shellylh

• 4 months later...

A friend of mine has a pair of Audioengine 5 that stopped working.   I don't think he can afford to get new ones right now.  So I was thinking that maybe I should buy a new pair of speakers for the office and offer to sell mine to him really cheap (he really liked his pair).   The Emotiva 4 I have at home are great and the new ones (4s) are presumably just as good and look nicer.  Anything else out there I should entertain with a similar budget?  I don't really think I need the 5 or Stealth 6 as my office is not that large and I can't crank up the music.  Has anyone tried the new Airmotiv 4s/5s?  

I am a bit concerned that the Airmotiv 4s don't have volume control since I have to have the volume on my source (Benchmark DAC2) really low if I have the volume on the Airmotiv 4 all the way up (as they recommend).   

Or as was pointed out earlier in the thread...or you could just put some passive attenuators so that the volume control works in a more realistic range...

But the Stealth 6ses are just three ninety nine!

EDIT:  On a more serious note, every time powered monitors come up on Synthesizer Freaks (Facebook group), it always turns into a KRK vs. Adam debate.  With some JBL thrown in and random input from me.  My friend's experience with KRK is that he wouldn't do anything less than the VXT8 (not even the VXT6).  So you may want to look at the Adams.  I want to try the Dynaudios still, and Focal has introduced some budget offerings.

Shelly you could just fix the AE5.

Not that I am unhappy in any ways with my airmotiv 4, but I have realized that 99% of my home listening is on these at my computer, so therefore an upgrade is justified after I move.  Not sure at all what to though, yet.

I don't really want to have one more set of cables in my setup (which is why I would like do without the passive volume control).  

Shelly you could just fix the AE5.

I could also just fix the quads (which is probably easier).  I am not sure what is wrong with the AE5 but I guess I couldn't make anything worse.  ;)

Maybe you need to visit again Colin. 

But the Stealth 6ses are just three ninety nine!

For each... 

The Stealth 6ses are really really tempting.  They may be a little bigger than I am looking for (on my desk). 

What about the KEF x300a (on sale for $599 at KEF direct)?  Anyone heard these?  I don't really need the DAC in them but I assume you can bypass the DAC (I should check).  I'm guessing they aren't a great buy if you don't need the DAC.  

http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x_300a/x_300a/index.html#.U-uL3YA3I1c

I've thought about them.  I don't think they were $600 at the time, though, I remember them being $800+, so got over-ruled by the Dynaudios.  At $600, they're a lot more competitive.  Look at this.  I say, "Dew et".

EDIT:  No, I remember, I was looking at them as totable, I ended up getting the Equators instead.  I'd be curious to compare the two.

Do some research on opinions on the x300a's I'd say.  Can't remember where, but I read that more than one person was slightly disappointed in them (I seem to recall cabinet vibrations affecting the tone), though maybe it was in comparison to the LS-50's....for the price they may be quite nice.

FYI, too, they are on sale even cheaper at Accessories4less.com.....

I wonder if they are winning a bunch of awards because of being an all-in-one with a DAC. 

Maybe, I don't know.  And I do see a system gain, but it looks unwieldy if you change it often.  (I.E. same as Quads and Mackies.  And I have no idea where the gain stage that you're attenuating is.)  I do see an aux-in, but I think you're instincts regarding paying for the DAC that you're not using as money wasted may be right.  They do seem nicely sized for your purposes though.

Arriere_paire_X300A.jpg

Good news, the RCA connection on the Quads seems to fine now (maybe it was just the XLR connection that was having trouble).  So I've given my friend the A5s in my office to make room for the Quads.  Everybody wins (until the Quads stop working again or I decide they are too huge)!

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Resurrection!

The stealth 6's came in today, have been playing for a few hours. Here are my purposefully bland impressions meant to temper my excitement.

They are very black and very stealthy.

But they are huge.

The ribbon tweeters appear to be very much working.

The woofers sound like they are producing bass.

I've been listening for a few hours straight now non stop.

The speakers are filling my room with a lot of sound.

WAF.

• Like 5

Very cool, glad you're liking.

I've been enjoying the Airmotiv 4's a fair bit as well.  Have a simple setup of DVD player -> Benchmark DAC-2 -> (balanced to) Airmotiv's.  In the spirit of Mapleshade, my 4's are on the carpet angled up via cork/rubber combo footers.

Somewhat muddy midbass, but pretty fun!  May try to put them up on butcher blocks, even more Mapleshady.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up some of that overpriced "acoustic foam" that you place underneath monitors to tighten up the vibrations and by golly I think it actually works. My stands are metal and you could feel vibrating due to the bass of the stealths, they definitely vibrate much less and the bass was fantastic, ridiculous at certain points.

• Like 1