Neil Young claims he was working on an audiophile iPod with Steve Jobs

Wmcmanus

• 2 weeks later...

Taken from the Rolling Stones article about U2/Apple saving music. 

"an audiovisual interactive format for music that can’t be pirated and will bring back album artwork in the most powerful way, where you can play with the lyrics and get behind the songs when you’re sitting on the subway with your iPad or on these big flat screens. You can see photography like you’ve never seen it before."

I'm not 12 years old, so that seems really uninteresting.

I wish they could create a "can't be pirated" format for musician's sake, but I'd put my money on the hackers all day long. 

• 4 weeks later...

Man, in all the cringe inducing (and in some geos illegal) simplified messages I've heard proposed in the jobs I've had (with at least one foot in the marketing department), I don't believe I've heard anything so far into misinformation territory as Neil's consistent statements. And the rewards of the ends so little justify the means in comparison (though lack of importance is probably part of it). Still I can't believe the pass/support he's getting.

If the sometimes strange Apple lawsuits that sprout up on each release starts here, will be interesting to see how Pono defends itself (especially as they spread internationally).

I've got mixed feelings about Pono. But for sure, he's got to get a better line.

In other news, I had a chat with George Cardas. He's redone his IEMs and the new versions are very cool....I'll be posting pix on IF soon. He's evidently struck (is striking) a deal with Pono to ship with his new cans as one of the headphone options. They're VERY nice looking and ergos are MUCH better, sound seems pretty good too, on initial listening. 

Tidal at RMAF was the height of vapor ware sales.  They had really expensive and very slick looking marketing materials and shwag that said absolutely nothing, and the reps there added almost nothing more.  JP did confirm that Tidal will work -- if and when it exists in the US -- straight from a computer, tablet or mobile phone in addition to all those partner devices.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...