Neil Young claims he was working on an audiophile iPod with Steve Jobs

Wmcmanus

My take is hi-res is marginally better on hi-fidelity systems. I do sense an increased sense of ease in the experience.

But re-mastering is WAY more important.

If "hi-rez" can be sold to the public with the bullshit numbers argument and we get MQA hi-res streaming available on premium services at $20-$30/month...I'm fine with that...

...as long as we're also getting re-mastered music that sounds like it was supposed to.

As an aside, I did chat with a number of folks at CES that were aware of pretty significant efforts at the labels to do just that. 

• Like 2

My take is hi-res is marginally better on hi-fidelity systems. I do sense an increased sense of ease in the experience.

But re-mastering is WAY more important.

If "hi-rez" can be sold to the public with the bullshit numbers argument and we get MQA hi-res streaming available on premium services at $20-$30/month...I'm fine with that...

...as long as we're also getting re-mastered music that sounds like it was supposed to.

As an aside, I did chat with a number of folks at CES that were aware of pretty significant efforts at the labels to do just that. 

Just like you Tyll...I think most of it is due to much better mastering and one will need a resolving enough system to different standard redbook & hi-rez system apart.  I wish every redbook album can sound just as good as Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley album.

• Like 1

I got a Pono thing when the kickstarter opened. Got one of the Herbie Hancock artist series which included an additional SDHC 64GB card with a couple of his albums in hi-res. It arrived a few weeks ago directly from China. I've loaded it with a lot of normal 16/44 FLAC albums and some hi-res 24/96 (mostly vinyl rips) too. The thing sounds pretty good, the headphone out is more than decent and drives quite well the ESW10jpn which I use more frequently when travelling or on call. The line out feeding the "small" speakers system is good too. I don't regret the purchase.

I got a Pono thing when the kickstarter opened. Got one of the Herbie Hancock artist series which included an additional SDHC 64GB card with a couple of his albums in hi-res. It arrived a few weeks ago directly from China. I've loaded it with a lot of normal 16/44 FLAC albums and some hi-res 24/96 (mostly vinyl rips) too. The thing sounds pretty good, the headphone out is more than decent and drives quite well the ESW10jpn which I use more frequently when travelling or on call. The line out feeding the "small" speakers system is good too. I don't regret the purchase.

What's the headphone out rating on the Pono?  I'm a Sony guy so I'm using my tiny NWZ-A17 & ZX1 for hi-rez portable playback.  I also have the PHA3 that can act as a balanced DAC/Amp connected digitally with A17 & ZX1.

Haha it's not started. No builder and I'm not sure I have the funds to source the rest of the parts currently. Just trying to slowly stock up in spades for the one day. Thanks for checking! Hope things are well. Im sure your system is pretty stellar these days. I barely listen to what I have :/ 

What's the headphone out rating on the Pono?  I'm a Sony guy so I'm using my tiny NWZ-A17 & ZX1 for hi-rez portable playback.  I also have the PHA3 that can act as a balanced DAC/Amp connected digitally with A17 & ZX1.

I don't think I can rate it compared to the stuff you own. I don't have/ have listened to any of those devices. All I can say is that I like it at the same level I like the iTouch g3 (large 30 pins output) feeding the PicoSlim to drive the ESW10. With the X10 sounds great too. I loaned my HD600 to a friend, they're coming back in a few days, then I'll be able to get a better scope on its headphone output.

Oops!
Enter%2BSandman%2BComparison.jpg

Mr. Young, from the perspective of many who actually care about sound quality, you are selling shit masterings in massively oversized boxes, wrapped up in shiny paper with an elaborate bow on top, while effusing comforting hot air tinged with perfume

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2015/01/last-words-on-pono-mastering-analysis.html

• Like 1