Neil Young claims he was working on an audiophile iPod with Steve Jobs

Wmcmanus

I don't think he thinks he is -- he's just very particular.  Previously, he didn't like eMpTyV using "This Note's for You" anti-commericalism video ironically, then he didn't like his antiestablishmentarianism anthems used as political propaganda.

Now this.

So he's always kind of been like this.

• Like 1

I don't think he thinks he is -- he's just very particular.  Previously, he didn't like eMpTyV using "This Note's for You" anti-commericalism video ironically, then he didn't like his antiestablishmentarianism anthems used as political propaganda.

Now this.

So he's always kind of been like this.

Agreed, just Neil being Neil.

Iggy pop

I was about to make an age argument but googled first because I'm internet savvy and Iggy Pop is 68 years old. Christ. Neil Young just a year older at 69.

Unfortunately I haven't seen Iggy live in any capacity but I have no doubt he is a monster on stage.

@Dusty: Iggy's "The Idiot World Tour" featured Bowie on keyboards and backing vocals.

@Grahame: interesting I guess, but moreso just selfish and unconcerned with parental propriety. He also took her to A Clockwork Orange when she was about 10. That didn't go as well.

• Like 1

I don't blame you for making that inference because the one data point was pretty damn cool. I would have skewed it even further by pointing out that he had a massive collection of vinyl and reel-to-reel tapes and a Stax Earspeakers setup that he loved. Still, on balance, an asshole.

Nice!

...but...(squints)...Bowie on keyboards?

Bowie and Iggy had a big love affair in the 70's, and Bowie has been very supportive of Iggy's music every since.

The movie Velvet Goldmine is that story.

Edited by swt61

From what I've read, Bowie basically saved Iggy from a heroin-induced downfall and possible death.....and Bowie all but ignored his album at the lime (was it Lodger?) to tour with Iggy.  Cool stuff.....

BTW, silly side story: when I had an apartment with a no pet policy ~ 1987, my girlfriend and I shopped for hamsters.  We found a nice pair where one had a zig-zag stripe on his back.

And as such, Iggy and Ziggy came to live with Todd (girlfriend Barbara did not live with me, though; ultimately a good thing, I was not good enough for her at the time.  TMI).

Bowie and Iggy had a big love affair in the 70's, and Bowie has been very supportive of Iggy's music every since.

The movie Velvet Goldmine is that story.

I've seen it, and I knew that, what I didn't know that among Bowie's many other talents, he played keyboards.  Seems entirely ... backseat of him, which ^ actually makes makes sense.

I'm not saying I shouldn't have known, that it was some big secret, I'm just saying I didn't know.  And now I do.  :)  

I think it's more the non-frontman role that surprises me -- even when he was in Tin Machine, trying to be supportive of the other members of the ensemble, he was still the lead singer.  I think (with the Iggy concert story) now knowing why (combined with knowing how important Iggy was to him) helps me to understanding that now.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...