This One Goes to Eleven

kevin gilmore

So birgir asked for this one, but truth be told, i have been working on it for

quite a while, and i have a working prototype.

Specs:

DC to 200khz +0, -.2 db

Slew Rate >350 volts per microsecond

Thd < .01%

Voltage Peak to Peak, Stator to Stator 2950

http://gilmore.chem....n.edu/togte.pdf

This is not for the faint of heart. The amp actually can go higher in voltage by a bit,

but anything over +/-750 for the power supply gets to be Very difficult to regulate well.

The +/-250 is actually resistor dividers off the +/-750

Its the only push pull fully dc coupled electrostatic amp that i know of biggrin.png

Since this schematic i have replaced the 2s3840 with ksc5026 which is a higher voltage

transistor and a better match for the 2sa1968.

Edited by kevin gilmore

The high voltage power supply is the kgsshv supply with all the pnp's replaced with 2sa1968's and

the 2sc3840 replaced with ksc5026, and the pass fets replaced with the 900 volt versions.

(and changes to the zener string and feedback resistors)

Eventually due to the march to surface mount, i will be making DPAK to TO220 converter boards

so that we can use the 2sa1413, or the ROHM parts in place of the 2sa1486. This will apply

to the kgsshv too. The low voltage (well +/-85 is low voltage) is a dynahi supply with upgraded

parts. Due to all this stuff, and the heatsinks required its going to be the size of the T2.

The only person that really needs this is pabbi1.

Practically, voltage swings above the bias voltage may do damage to the heaphones, so really

+/-600 volt supplies are sufficient.

Yes its a stacked transistor design. No other way to do it with solid state.

Edited by kevin gilmore

The only person that really needs this is pabbi1.

Yes, but since Cavalli isn't building it I doubt he's interested. Ooh, did I just say that publicly? tongue.png

What is pabbi1 doing with this beast?

He's joking about Al's volume levels. Remember how you can hear Al's headphones all the way across the library, in meet conditions?

Edited by swt61

It is, I don't think anybody has heard what they really can do due to crappy enclosure design and crazy power requirements. The latest transformers have a ratio of 1:120 which is five times what Stax were using... kitty.jpg

Now for the second problem, find a set of Floats that fit my head...

It is, I don't think anybody has heard what they really can do due to crappy enclosure design and crazy power requirements. The latest transformers have a ratio of 1:120 which is five times what Stax were using... kitty.jpg

Now for the second problem, find a set of Floats that fit my head...

Even with the transformer driver, the dynamics and speed of this phone were shockingly good. No deep bass at all - Tony Levin's downward stick run in a track on Projekct One literally disappeared with the Float Electrostatics/PS2 transformers, whereas with the Sigmas (not known for their low frequency response), he was present and well accounted for.

From memory, the bias voltage is +/- 1200 volts isn't it? I always suspected a well driven set could be giant slayers.

They were oddly shaped - I agree - but my head managed to just fit in there.

Edited by John Buchanan