T2 knob turning

kevin gilmore

I have a 7 lb chunk of pure berryllium in my drawer at work that i was thinking

of turning into a knob. I have already been told that i will not be allowed to

use the machines at work to do this. And i'm not stupid enough to try

this on my lathe at home.

Berryllium not so bad. Berryllium Oxide, very VERY bad.

I also have about 25 lbs of mercury, not sure what to do with that either.

Maybe waterford crystal knob filled with mercury might be neat.

There are a number of kinds of stainless steel. The screws i have are

non-magnetic. All my NMR magnets are made of non-magnetic stainless.

I do remember the NS100's. Good speakers, a little bright. Very yamaha sound.

Edited by kevin gilmore

We used to have a 1kilowatt amplifier that we tested wattmeters with that had Beryllium oxide inside as part of the heatsink compound formula.

Wikipedia.

Beryllium oxide (BeO), also known as beryllia, is an inorganic compound with the formula BeO. This colourless solid is a notable electrical insulator with a higher thermal conductivity than any other non-metal except diamond, and actually exceeds that of some metals.[2] As an amorphous solid, beryllium oxide is white. Its high melting point leads to its use as a refractory.[3] It occurs in nature as the mineral bromellite. Historically and in materials science, beryllium oxide was called glucina or glucinium oxide.

Like all beryllium compounds, BeO is carcinogenic and may cause chronic beryllium disease. Once fired into solid form, it is safe to handle as long as it is not subjected to any machining that generates dust.[8] Beryllium oxide ceramic is not a hazardous waste under Federal law in the USA.

Depleted uranium makes nice knobs. Hefty feel. Be sure to use beryllium copper tools though, don't want sparking.

Uranium makes sparks when struck / scratched / tapped just right with a steel tool, and the sparks are burning uranium metal- and while the uranium is mostly depleted of radioactive isotopes it is not FREE of them, and inhaling a little u-235 oxide vapor / dust is a bad thing, strong alpha emitter....induces lung cancer...