Reliable Business Class Laptop Help

Hi All,

I teach high school science, and our department has a bit of money to spend. Our school is very dependent on technology for PowerPoint and other software for curriculum, so any problems with our desktops or LCD projectors is a BIG hassle. I suggested that we invest in a laptop and projector to use exclusively as a roving backup for teachers in our department.

I am only looking for absolute reliability since every new laptop can run Powerpoint and any other education software one can dream of for lecture purposes.

In my very short search thus far, something like this would be about right: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Edge-E520-1143D7U-15.6-LED-Notebook-Core-i5-i5-243/6309432/product.html

I am sure I can find a better price, but it's a start.

I am strongly leaning toward an entry level Lenovo Thinkpad, but any PC based suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

if you are looking for reliability go for at least a t series. i don't know of anything more reliable in the pc world. x series if it needs to be portable but I'm guessing if its on one of those cart things that you can wheel the projector around with, the weight doesn't really matter. bigger screen might make it easier for teacher. so 15" t series?

if you are looking for reliability go for at least a t series. i don't know of anything more reliable in the pc world. x series if it needs to be portable but I'm guessing if its on one of those cart things that you can wheel the projector around with, the weight doesn't really matter. bigger screen might make it easier for teacher. so 15" t series?

+1, Used to work in IT and the T series were built like tanks.

Crappy, not sure we can swing a T series, based on the prices I have found. They all look to be over a grand. The difference gets a good head start into a projector. They're nice, and I will obviously not turn it down if I can find it for a better price ($600-750), but I am not sure that kind of deal is out there.

Any good sites out there that have good deals? I have been out of the loop for laptops for a while; I am more of a desktop person.

Carl, I will try to insist that I be the ad hoc IT person for the department. I want to have the flexibility of not having to rely on the school tech. That and the Deep Freeze program the school has is ridiculous. Since it will be department money, I like to think that our group will be very careful and take care of it, so hopefully no stairs incidents.