HD650 scalability?

Navyblue

Returned mine to the Apple store yesterday. The bass is phenomenal, but the peak in the mids makes voices unnatural and the treble is detailed and clear, but distant and too sharp a drop after such a high mid peak. Take away the peak and I think it would be quite a headphone, but I couldn't get past how disjointed it made things sound.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Returned mine to the Apple store yesterday. The bass is phenomenal, but the peak in the mids makes voices unnatural and the treble is detailed and clear, but distant and too sharp a drop after such a high mid peak. Take away the peak and I think it would be quite a headphone, but I couldn't get past how disjointed it made things sound.

Yeah, but don't you also think the K1000 has recessed mids? :palm:

Comparing the two setups the B22 felt more recessed than the F5 which was fine on mids. You're overstating my position on that aspect.

Really?

Cambridge iPod dock > Buffalo DAC > Beta 22 > K1000:

Presentation is nice, focus is great. Treble just isn't clear. Harsh really. Bass is not bad, volume is ok. Sibilant, just overall smeared. Separation is very good. Stage is very large with good depth. Mids seem recessed.

Switch to Pass F5 with K1000:

Better overall, but highs still smeared. Mids are more present.

Dunno, Steve, just don't like the treble on these. Have never been overly impressed with them. This was the first time I heard them and was satisfied with the bass, which was probably more to do with the room than anything. At their original selling price these are fair, but at well over $1000 I can't recommend.