Noob needs more advice please

Danport

Complete noob needs more advice please.

I need a budget stationary headphone setup for my home exercise bike.

I need isolation as the bike is very loud and I already have some mild high frequency hearing loss.

I'm thinking of getting an oppo DV-970 HD universal DVD player for a source.

And etymotic ER-4P In Ear Monitors for their isolation.

What should I use for amplification?

Does the line out jack have enough power that I would need an attenuator instead of an amplifier?

What about a Cmoy type amp, on ebay, with the builder optimizing a low gain for the ER-4Ps?

Or do I need a real amp, like a headroom Micro amp? If I bought the Headroom, do I really need the DAC to go with it?

Please feel free to pontificate (Synonyms: boast, brag, chatter, declaim, expatiate, go on, gush, harangue, hold forth, orate, ramble, rant, sermonize, speechify, spellbind, spiel, yell).

Thanks

Dan

I apologize if i have wasted your time.

I have 3 posts, and yes they are all related.

My first post was in the headphone thread, and primarily about choice of headphones. I felt i got some excellent advice, and have pretty much settled on the er-4p in ear monitor.

My second post was in the source thread. And I am still debating ipod vs. oppo dvd. If I use the ipod, it seems no amp is necessary. But if i go with the oppo, i will need an amp.

Now my third question is in the amplification thread, what budget amp would work well with the oppo and the er-4p.

I thought that I should supply some info on the way i would use the equipment in each question in order to get more specific opinions.

I admitted I am a newbie and ignorant in these matters.

If I have posted inappropriately, please accept my apology, and feel free to remove the thread.

thanks.

Complete noob needs more advice please.

I need a budget stationary headphone setup for my home exercise bike.

I need isolation as the bike is very loud and I already have some mild high frequency hearing loss.

I'm thinking of getting an oppo DV-970 HD universal DVD player for a source.

And etymotic ER-4P In Ear Monitors for their isolation.

What should I use for amplification?

Does the line out jack have enough power that I would need an attenuator instead of an amplifier?

What about a Cmoy type amp, on ebay, with the builder optimizing a low gain for the ER-4Ps?

Or do I need a real amp, like a headroom Micro amp? If I bought the Headroom, do I really need the DAC to go with it?

Please feel free to pontificate (Synonyms: boast, brag, chatter, declaim, expatiate, go on, gush, harangue, hold forth, orate, ramble, rant, sermonize, speechify, spellbind, spiel, yell).

Thanks

Dan

instead of getting a player and an amp for a pair of er4ps for a work out rig, why don't you just use an ipod or something with a pair of better earphones such as the ultimate ears super-fi 5 pro? then you can have quality music reproduction on the go as well.

I don't know what kind of workouts you do, but when I do a workout, the music player better be small and on my body or else the wires are going to get in the way, get mangled, and busted up fast. To me it doesn't make sense to run a stationary home DVD player to an amp and then to my earbuds, there's fucking wires everywhere getting in the way and waiting to be broken. It just seems stupid to me.

Get something small like a iPod Nano or Shuffle, secure it to your body and run the earbud wires under your shirt and right to your ears. Keep it simple, keep it light, that way shit don't go wrong. Besides, if you're doing a proper workout and not some wussy yuppie crap, you'll be breathing too hard and your heart will be pounding nicely so you won't be able to tell the difference between an iPod and some $5000 setup.

I'd say just go for something portable. With earplugs and stationary equipment, there's probably more chance of cables being trapped, you walking away without realising it (owwwww), etc. The Etys are champs for isolation, but the Ultimate Ears do undoubtedly sound better. Problem is, for some people their fit is crap and even if you do get them to fit you properly they still don't offer anywhere near the level of isolation of the Etys. You might like to get both from suppliers who offer returns and try'em out.

Oh yeah, forgot to pontificate. I rule.