For all you portable toy haters.....

dcfis

One person got it right I see. Manley feels the iPod is "Toy" enough to include integrated docks right into their most HiFi designs. This is on display at CES right now along with a Mahi dual mono in a single chasis with integrated dock. Interesting to see what other manf. are sourcing with portables at the show. Not saying I agree with it but in all reality we soon might have docks in many of our boutique High end components. If we choose to use them or not.. well thats another story.

Ben Gramain I define portable in this case as using a portable device not as straping on a manley. The question is is there a iPod source in the Halcro booth???

What kind of idiot amplifies an iPod with a Manley?
What is your problem? An iPod is a damn fine source, as long as you use the line out. I'm not saying it's on the order of Wadia or Meridian, but it's pretty good...

If I had an iPod, I'd amplify it with my Manley. As far as I'm concerned, if you haven't heard the combo, this is just mindless prejudice.

Idiot, indeed.

Wouldn't this be the epitome of the dumbassness associated with "portable toys"? (Portable as in MP3 player not as in portability.)

What kind of idiot amplifies an iPod with a Manley?

The kind of idiot who owns an ipod and a manley, I'd bet.

Hmmm... Ponders the idiocy of hooking up an decent portable source - but nevertheless a significantly inferior non-portable source if it were to be used as such - with something that is not portable in any way. If you can afford a Manley amp you can probably afford a Sonos system and a DAC at home. As a viable everyday solution and as a facility to actually incorporate into a product, it is undoubtedly an excellent marketing move but it is idiotic all the same - unless there is a DAC built into there of course, in which case I take it all back.

I have an iPod dock nominally wired to my 383 which I use for charging only in most cases and I have been known to do this... but purely for the sake of amusement.

post-155-12951151983901.jpg

Hmmm... Ponders the idiocy of hooking up an decent portable source - but nevertheless a significantly inferior non-portable source if it were to be used as such - with something that is not portable in any way. If you can afford a Manley amp you can probably afford a Sonos system and a DAC at home. As a viable everyday solution and as a facility to actually incorporate into a product, it is undoubtedly an excellent marketing move but it is idiotic all the same - unless there is a DAC built into there of course, in which case I take it all back.

I have an iPod dock nominally wired to my 383 which I use for charging only in most cases and I have been known to do this... but purely for the sake of amusement.

Look at it this way. The ipod may not be the best source hooked up, or the source most frequently used, but it sure would be handy to just walk up and drop the pod on, if say you have friends over who want you to hear something, or you're having a party, or whatnot. The dock is about convenience, and the output from it isn't bad, even if it isn't up to the level of a multi thousand dollar outboard dac.

Well then... that sure doesn't come as a surprise then does it. The surprise now is why doesn't it come in pink?

hehe Im not so sure you can classify this one like that but I could be wrong ;) Anyway she has been an audio "All Pro" since pratically day one with her father who started Ampeg and her going to Columbia and then studying under the original VTL Labs guys before launching Manley with a slew of innovations and classics in the pro and hifi world condenser tube mics and so on So when she does something like this others are watching very closely. To this day their Reference Dac is considered by many to be the best ever and a 10 year old DAC still commands 5K+ (which the chipsets are irreplaceable if something goes wrong). So I do respect her greatly and so do many others. You can bet we are going to see much more of this.

I like EveAnna Manley a lot. And it doesn't come in pink because she's a hellraiser. Pink is for wussies.

No, seriously, there's nothing wrong with pink, but if you look at the Manley line, there's a certain industrialism to its ethic, pink would kind of not fit in. She doesn't make very "girly" gear -- her stuff "rawks".

Wow that is deeper than most realize, is that some Kant or an original Chalkism? Bravo either way and good point.
Um...it's an "original Chalkism", if you're referring to the idiocy/justification statement. It may have been said before, but I never heard it -- I was just responding to the apparent dichotomy (to me, anyway) in his argument.

Oh, and Benjy -- nice retort. (raises his glass of sarcasm in toast) Cheers!