Senn 650's, Cardas cable, and . . . . .???

MaN227

I'm a bit flexible , but was thinking along the lines of 300$ us tops on a dac and 500 or so tops on an amp.

to me as far as budget goes, as I said I can give a little more IF the gain in sound quality is substantial.

I am though, trying to stay away from broadening my price range much, as that'll just lead to more options and more research and headaches :'(

as I can clearly see, not sure what those here would call it, what I call "upgrade-itis" , gets many that are into this hifi headphone world. As that happens people keep up-ing the dollar amount they will spend.

so.... lol after all my silly rambling on, lets say 800$ us max O0

If you're going separate dac and amp, you're throwing money away if you buy a $300 dac. Spend $700 on your amp, and get an airport express as your way to get the music off your computer.

dang that friggin' edit time got me AGAIN >:( >:(>:(

I found a page that had some info, but I didn't see anything that pertained to its use in a audiophile setup. can you speak to its qualities in such a setup ? provide links to info speaking to its quality use in hifi?

I ask this as what I seen it seemed like a wireless access point to stream music to a home audio receiver. does it only work with itues? being apple thats what I expect. I use foobar atm for music from the pc, kernal streaming.

does any of that stupid DRM crap come into play?

dang that friggin' edit time got me AGAIN >:( >:(>:(

I found a page that had some info, but I didn't see anything that pertained to its use in a audiophile setup. can you speak to its qualities in such a setup ? provide links to info speaking to its quality use in hifi?

I ask this as what I seen it seemed like a wireless access point to stream music to a home audio receiver. does it only work with itues? being apple thats what I expect. I use foobar atm for music from the pc, kernal streaming.

does any of that stupid DRM crap come into play?

There is some software that will let you stream anything to it, but it works mainly with itunes, and with itunes is bit perfect. And nothing about itunes or the airport express stops you from playing any mp3, aac, alac, wav, etc file. The drm is only on songs you buy from apple.

The HD650's sounded great with the McAlister PL10 I auditioned [as well as with my own amp], though I would wait until he standardizes his design and builds up a stock of amps as this will probably translate to better build quality. Still, for $699 you can't go wrong...

thanks for the input philodox :D

grawk, remember I am new to this and not trying to give you a hard time. how does this airport express replace the processing of the sound that a DAC supposedly does? do I understand that its a wireless gizmo? or it connect to pc via coax or toslink or usb as a DAC would. the reason I ask is it sounds intesting and I'd like to know more.

I was actually going to recommend another soundcard which has a headphone output which is not bad at all (comparison base for 'not bad at all' being with the Headroom Max), but not until I'm sure I can get it to run in unconnected mode as a DAC as well (I'll have to scratch my way through the manual and attempt it).

Off on a tangent but here's an idea (and no I haven't tried it)... how about an Apple TV + HDMI>DVI cable + 17" - 19" monitor + decent budget DAC? You've got a nice standalone system there which can also stream from 'puters.

thanks for the input philodox :D

grawk, remember I am new to this and not trying to give you a hard time. how does this airport express replace the processing of the sound that a DAC supposedly does? do I understand that its a wireless gizmo? or it connect to pc via coax or toslink or usb as a DAC would. the reason I ask is it sounds intesting and I'd like to know more.

You stream music to it via wifi or ethernet. You listen via analog out. It's comparable to any $300 dac.

thanks again folks for the wonderful input.

@EdipisReks actually its one of the higher choices on my list of DAC's, its one of those rare products that I've yet to see ANYone say ANYthing bad about it. It seems to server its intended purpose in spades.

I learn as I go, thanks for helping me learn. ;)

i think the headroom micro dac (a three hundred dollar dac) is significantly better than the airport express, though i do think the airport express is pretty decent for what it is.

Yes reks, but would you rather have a headroom micro dac + a $300 amp, or an airport express + a $700 amp?

A monster has been created or is at least in the making. >:D >:D>:D >:D

well I've gone and compounded my searching woes, I just snagged a pair of HKG K701's :D lol , its like I've come down with a sickness of some sort :P

how does this change what I should get , if it does at all. It appears that both cans need a fair amount of power to drive them proberly. sound signature , I don't even know where to begin on that one.

look forward to more thoughts on choices.

I know Harmon Kardon is a part of AKG, but they now have HKGs? >:D

Just kidding, enjoy the headphones.

LMAO , opps. I guess thats what I get when posting when very tired.

thanks for the well wishes. anyone have more to add? other then the fact that I kant spleeelll Ore tiep ;)

A monster has been created or is at least in the making. >:D >:D>:D >:D

well I've gone and compounded my searching woes, I just snagged a pair of HKG K701's :D lol , its like I've come down with a sickness of some sort :P

how does this change what I should get , if it does at all. It appears that both cans need a fair amount of power to drive them proberly. sound signature , I don't even know where to begin on that one.

look forward to more thoughts on choices.

Oh, shit, dude, you are so fucked. There is nothing to be done. Sorry about your wallet, 'n' all that.