Not very happy this isn't available for DIY. That would have been my only motivation to get one of these - now I have absolutely no interest.

Oh, I didn't even realise that. I was tempted to build one for shits and giggles, but yeah, no way in hell I am buying one.

I think the argument that he uses for the pre-assembled boards essentially boils down to:

1) USB and DAC chips are difficult to source in small quantities (and apparently require OEM agreements)

2) Small SMT components and fine pitched IC bring the project to a high difficulty level

3) "Given all that, the ODAC requires commercial automated assembled in fairly large batches."

Not saying I agree with it, but that's what he says.

I think the argument that he uses for the pre-assembled boards essentially boils down to:

1) USB and DAC chips are difficult to source in small quantities (and apparently require OEM agreements)

2) Small SMT components and fine pitched IC bring the project to a high difficulty level

3) "Given all that, the ODAC requires commercial automated assembled in fairly large batches."

Not saying I agree with it, but that's what he says.

Yea I read his article but really the argument that fine pitch smd can't be DIY is BS. You can do it with a soldering iron with care or there is always the mask + solder paste method. And I don't see why one of these 'partners' couldn't sell a kit with the board and the couple hard to source chips if they aren't available in small quantities. It's not for everyone, but neither are a lot of other DIY projects.

Worse yet he didn't even release the schematic.

Looks like the people here that predicted he would go commercial were spot on.

Agreed

Edited by cobra_kai

I agree, I think he should have at least provided an option for DIYers. Perhaps release a board with the two chips pre-soldered, like how TPA does most of their boards?

The lack of a schematic is particularly glaring in this case, especially when you compare the ODAC to the O2. O2 a full schematic that was CC licensed, while the ODAC has....nothing.

His rhetoric is ridiculous, his claims are unfounded and without citations, and his designs are boring. But, really, he has to release his project as a kit for DIYers? I don't see where he owes kit builders of the world anything. Who cares if he makes a commercial design. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But why does this guy have so much power over the audio world?

His rhetoric is ridiculous, his claims are unfounded and without citations, and his designs are boring. But, really, he has to release his project as a kit for DIYers? I don't see where he owes kit builders of the world anything. Who cares if he makes a commercial design. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But why does this guy have so much power over the audio world?

Because he bashes the establishment, "reveals the truth", gives his knowledge and designing skills for free... and the masses love it.

Because he bashes the establishment, "reveals the truth", gives his knowledge and designing skills for free... and the masses love it.

And because he is a fucking, hypocritical cunt. He bashes the snake oil salesman but he is just distributing another flavor of snake oil.

• Like 1

I hardly think the "masses" even know who he is. He has a following, but I'm not sure they're a particularly influential bunch.

You'd be surprised how frequently his O2 and his website comes out mentioned at other sites. OK, maybe not the masses, but a lot of people with an interest in audio.

He's gone commercial but claims he isn't making any money.

Honestly, if he had someone else with even rudimentary social skill and a less conspiratorial bent to run the blog and forum posts while he sat back and designed his product would be better received and his cause would be furthered to a wider swath of people. He's hurting his own cause. Unless his cause is an ego boost through denigration of respected designers - if I wanted to choose a designer to 'expose' it would not be Pass.

I see his products and blog regularly brought up and recommended on various forums like Anandtech, Slickdeals, etc. whenever something headphone gear related is discussed.

His followers are a very vocal and annoying bunch, kinda like their leader. They present his audio ideology/rants as absolute truth and anything that cost more than his products as snake oil or a ripoff.

Edited by dcpoor

After more than a year trying to add some 'perspective' to NWVaguy on the other site, it's refreshing to see a modicum of analysis and BS filtering still left in the world. Phew, so lonely over there. Poor Amos has even picked up the banner in defense of sanity. I think Purrin said 'eff these Jehovahs I'm outta here'.

Even if his design would work I couldn't care less. I choose to ignore his creations a long time ago since his review here was obvious enough.

I am not a Electronic Egineer or anything. I just read a lot and try to find out for myself how things work. The way 'he' communicates just gives me the feeling he wants to share his absolute ideas with no form of healthy feedback(/criticism). Back to Pink Floyd...

Edited by Synchro Belt Drive

Just wait till he releases his threatened "timex vs rolex" article.

I have no idea whats in the pile of diatribe, but i'm sure there

are going to be lots and lots of pissed off people.

Something continues to tell me that since he thinks the

benchmark is the best thing since sliced bread, he probably

had something to do with it, possibly working as a consultant

to them. Very few people would pay retail price for something

like a dscope, and those that would probably would buy the

audioprecision.

at least he does not sand off the numbers on the chips.

So one could probably reverse engineer the thing in a few minutes.

And lay out a compatible board in a couple of hours. The issue

would be the availibility of the chips.

Since he is all about extremely low distortion numbers et all, you

know that he is going to rip nelson a new one, because most of his

amps are in the .05% to .1% thd range.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Guys, share that cool free gear!

I'd really love to know where all these free headphones are I'm supposed to be getting as I am having trouble finding them.

And because he is a fucking, hypocritical cunt. He bashes the snake oil salesman but he is just distributing another flavor of snake oil.

^ This. His writing is so sensationalist -- I read a comment about his Headphonia article where the poster said it reads like a scientific article. That was rather scary. No self-respecting scientist would write like that. Some in-it-for-the-money scientists have written books like that though.

The biggest irony is that the same people who would tell anyone to be sceptical about manufacturer claims aren't the least when it comes to him and his claims, measurements or otherwise.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." --- Richard P. Feynman

My father wrote a book explaining how science works (though related, mostly, to biological sciences). I have asked the publisher to re-release it as an eBook. If it can help educate people I think that will good.