I'd really love to know where all these free headphones are I'm supposed to be getting as I am having trouble finding them.

Ohh that's what they were. Sorry but they were all sent here but thrown into the nearest lava pit as they didn't have a 5 pin headphone plug... grin.gif

It strikes me that there are a lot of people who want to start at the "top" of the hobby, but don't want to take the time to save, audition, learn, etc. Instead, they want something cheap that they can say,"it's just as good as your fancy pants thing, you elitist swine." My point being, this seems more about the insecurity of a few than an actual exercise in good engineering. Perhaps this thing is good. If it is, I'm all for it. Cheap and good is good. But the thinly-guised classist rhetoric is tired and silly.

Plus, it is very odd that this guy has yet to reveal his identity.

He can rant all he wants to about RMAA, but used properly, it isn't worthless.

I'd side with the douche on this one. RMAA is worthless if you're looking for absolute measurements. Relative measurements, like most of us use to iteratively improve designs it's decent.

Since he is all about extremely low distortion numbers et all, you

know that he is going to rip nelson a new one, because most of his

amps are in the .05% to .1% thd range.

agreed. That's the "cost" of minimal part designs I guess. In my opinion, this trade-off makes Charles Hansen's designs impressive, as not relying on global feedback and getting the numbers he does is a lot of work.

Edited by luvdunhill

rmaa is not the problem, it is the people who use it, especially with 16 bit sound

cards, then don't set the levels correctly. If you have an 18 bit or better a/d and

you set the input level at -3db, then adjust the gain of the amplifier under test

to the equivalent -3db, then the numbers are at least close to equipment that

sets the gain automatically. But if you set the levels at -10db or worse, on

a 14 bit a/d, then you get silly readings.

• 1 month later...

I dont give a fuck about NwAvGuy or his roasted nuts.

I'll spare you the tl;dr page long "impressions".

My only motivation is to find a cheap good sounding source. No harm in that.

Hmmm, my scrotum is beginning to feel "toasty"....dogobediencetrainingyd1.jpg

What the review lacked in detail it made up for in vagueness.

I dont give a fuck about NwAvGuy or his roasted nuts.

I'll spare you the tl;dr page long "impressions".

My only motivation is to find a cheap good sounding source. No harm in that.

Hmmm, my scrotum is beginning to feel "toasty"....dogobediencetrainingyd1.jpg

How about you spare us with your thoughts on this subject altogether? Most here could give a rat's ass about a post of complete nothingness such as yours.

I edited this post to add a line between your quote and my statement. Even that had more substance than your first post.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

I just don't get at all what is the hype about. A $100 DAC in parts should sound like a $300+ DAC, that’s about how much commercial equivalent DAC would cost. If you invested $100 in parts and it sound like $100 then you been ripped off badly