Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

Loved them with the best recorded classical. Couldn't enjoy them with jazz...

I find that this sort of thing is true with many headphones. Sometimes, I just flip through them trying to match them to the music I'm in the mood for like I used to do when I was trying to find the right tie for the shirt and pants I was wearing that day.

Well I am all about the midrange. I will forgive shortcomings in the treble (K340) or bass (O II) response but not in the midrange. Plus at least 3/4 of my headphone listening time is with the Omega twins. Lastly, Shelly likes the HD800 and she has much better taste than I do.

Edited by morphsci

Oh and for anyone who finds them distant-sounding...you're not alone. After spending a couple years with the 800s, my fix was a pure silver cable. Copper and stock SPC pushes the sound farther out and slows/thickens it.

Cable cynics will scoff...in which case they can have fun with their distant mids.

Edited by Shahrose

I listened to the HD800s next to the K-1000s at the last meet which put to rest any interest. Great sounding phone but I'll stick with the HP-2 and K-1000 till something better comes along

Maybe it's just your preference, which is cool, but I wonder if you'd have a different opinion with more time spent. Owned both, sold the K1000 and didn't regret it for one second. Too far behind technically.

Oh and for anyone who finds them distant-sounding...you're not alone. After spending a couple years with the 800s, my fix was a pure silver cable. Copper and stock SPC pushes the sound farther out and slows/thickens it.

Cable cynics will scoff...in which case they can have fun with their distant mids.

Cable cynics will scoff because it's a whole load of horseshit.

"Or perhaps it is the same as someone who can see colour, scoffing at someone who think they can see IR and UV. "

Perhaps they can. I'm not in a position to judge. I can only comment on what I experience.

"Or perhaps it is the same as someone who can see colour, scoffing at someone who think they can see IR and UV. "

Perhaps they can. I'm not in a position to judge. I can only comment on what I think I experience.

FIFY

I also really like to HD800 but never got around to getting a pair. Hopefully I will get around to picking up a pair in the near future.

The point about the mids is a good one. Sometimes they sound a little "distant" to me. Don't know how else to describe it.

That's exactly how I describe the mids on the HD800s whenever I'm asked. Sometimes the mids just didn't fit in with the rest of what I was hearing from the HD800. They do have some great qualities but for my tastes they just weren't keepers.

It's odd because I've heard the mids on the O2 have a sucked out, almost hollow sound when paired with the wrong amp. That also seems like a distant sound. But I don't think it's quite what is going on here with the HD800.

I also notice that I tend to listen to the HD 800 at lower volumes.

It's odd because I've heard the mids on the O2 have a sucked out, almost hollow sound when paired with the wrong amp. That also seems like a distant sound. But I don't think it's quite what is going on here with the HD800.

That's not what I've found to be honest and the number back this up since the midrange is the most benign load for any amp. Over blown bass, check. Distant and rolled off highs, check. Very compromised sound stage, check, but the midrange always shines through. Could just be me and the small issue of me falling hard for the 007 even off my old SRM-313... unsure.png