Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

Damn. Got a linky?  There's so many of these mod threads I can't keep track.

Same for me....I'm still using the original one that you posted a how-to, but I'd be interested in switching to a better mod if there's one out there.

Not sure if it is useful to anyone, but I edited Tyll's pattern to make the lines thicker and get rid of the extra stuff. The reason being that you can use the toner transfer method to transfer this directly onto (wool) felt to make cutting easier. The moment between a decently transferred image, and burned piece of felt is short.

These now sound more like my HD650s ... not sure that's a good thing here :)

SennheiserHD800modTemplateEDIT.pdf

Edited by dsavitsk

These now sound more like my HD650s ... not sure that's a good thing here :)

Hmmm, intriguing.

If this is so, then what indeed would be the point of moving up?

I suppose then question remains, is the difference enough to justify the expense?

Edited by jdkJake

I hope you're not serious about that link.  Otherwise your remaining time here may be short.

Link was serious.  If it is breaking some unspoken rule - well perhaps that can be spelled out.

Mod is... well, Tyll hasn't measured it so I'm not sure how well the objective data will line up with early subjective impressions.

Last I read, spirit over there wasn't quite the refreshing kind it used to be, so am not surprised people don't generally want the links here.

I for one since I got banned in a click and can't read anyway lol. Best thing that happened to me over that side in retrospect :).

Link was serious.  If it is breaking some unspoken rule - well perhaps that can be spelled out.

Mod is... well, Tyll hasn't measured it so I'm not sure how well the objective data will line up with early subjective impressions

The only reference I could see on that page regarding a new mod where Anaxilus "halted all work on 3.0 because another mod overshadowed it." was a link to a joke thread you made on that forum regarding using Siracha sauce inside a HD800.

I wonder if Nate is commenting less about linking to that forum than the fact that you setup your post and followed through with that link in order to (seemingly) troll.

Edited by Nebby

On the topic, I recall seeing some measurements of recent mod that did not only tame the upper mid range peak but also prevent the dip the in response below (3-6kHz if I remember right). Hence seemed quite promising.

The only reference I could see on that page regarding a new mod where Anaxilus "halted all work on 3.0 because another mod overshadowed it." was a link to a joke thread you made on that forum regarding using Siracha sauce inside a HD800.

I wonder if Nate is commenting less about linking to that forum than the fact that you setup your post and followed through with that link in order to (seemingly) troll.

Yeah, I'm commenting on the fact that the link appears to point to a post/thread which recommends putting hot suace on headphones as a legit mod.  If I'm missing something, Tari, let me know.  Otherwise I couldn't give a shit what forum you link to.

Oh, then we're totally on the same page.  That's exactly what I was trying to say.

But it was a (joking) comment aimed at Tyll, who had taken an interest in it on that site that he needs to update the IF article.

I can guarantee that no joke involving Sri Racha is ever in bad taste.

I can guarantee that no joke involving Sri Racha is ever in bad taste.

On this we'll have to disagree.  Keep Tyll informed on real information, lest he go off chasing something that isn't clearly a joke until you follow a link, read a thread, follow another link and then find out you've just wasted five minutes on something that's just dumb.