Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

If you decided you wanted the HD800 because you were listening to the HD800, why would you purchase the HD700 instead?  It would be like test driving a Lexus, deciding that you really wanted the Lexus, but then going next door to buy a Toyota instead. 

Maybe you are planning on auditioning an HD700 first.  If this is the case, I would love to hear your impressions when you compare the two. 

I try the HD700 from time to time and they never cease to suck quite badly.  I'll have to try them with some electrical damping though as that seems to be Senn's new thing. 

I also hate the fit and finish of them.  That fake rubber crap... 

sennheiser-hd700-vs-hd800.jpg

Your comparison are belong to BadAssHeadphones.

Sennheiser HD700 and HD800 both are high end models and thus quite expensive. If you are confused while selecting one between the two, you need to analyze the different features of these headphones. Sennheiser HD800 is more costly but the audio quality is awesome. This post provides a detailed comparison between the HD 700 and HD 800...

Not the HD700s, but an equivalent video review:

True in many ways but even Sennheiser aren't Ultrasone cheap when it comes to the build quality.  Fake Neutrik plug on a 3.5K$ headphone speaks volumes about the company.  I'd still like to get an ED10 and Stax-ify it... ;D

Hey now-

I've been rocking two headphones for a while, the RS-1 (my fourth pair, I shouldn't sell these again) and the AT-W3000ANV. The aftermarket for the W3000ANV is suddenly pretty awesome now (a pair just went for $1300 on HF), and while I enjoy listening to them, and they are beautiful, I find myself wanting something for accurate for critical listening. 

I've wanted to try the HD800 in my home rig for a while, heard them at meets and was always impressed, subjectively I always enjoyed their strengths and never was bother by their purported weaknesses. However, my home amp is a beta22 on set on low gain (gain of 2 I think, its been a while since I read about how gain works on the beta). Can anyone speculate how this gain would work with a high impedance can like the HD800? anyone have any personal experience?

thanks!

I've listened to the HD800 (which I own, modded according--more or less-- to Anaxilus/Tyll directions) with the Beta22 (mine is a Nugget Audio unit). It's a great system, very good sound quality, but a bit brittle, not really involving and enjoyable in the lush-musical sense. Sound-wise it's awesome, plenty of detail and rough quality. The Gilmore Reference (kind of GS-X) or the Luxman are more musical and enjoyable. It all comes down on what type of sound you enjoy and like better.

The 3000ANV are nice cans, but not really in the same league of resolution, detail and balance as the HD800. For closed cans are fun though. Still unsure if I like the L3000 better.