Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

Sometime when the problem is at it's most audible, try twisting the headphone plug and see if that makes any difference. If so, it could be made worse by oxidation in the chassis jack.

It's also possible that your problem is more of an FCC issue.

Small private station's contracts with sponsors are partially based on the number of homes the they say they can reach. It isn't unusual that a station will roll the dice and transmit above what they're licensed and or, allowed to just to reach an additional community.

It could be that many of your neighbors have the same problem but no one's complained because they just don't listen as closely as you do.

You might want to contact the FCC and file a complaint.

On the other hand, if you know anybody that's a ham radio operator, AM interference is a common problem. They are usually the best guys to track down and solve these kinds of problems.

So this only happens with the Singlepower amp?  If that is the source, can you, or anyone, relieve whatever it is inside the amp that is causing the AM radio to be picked up?  I wish I knew more about this, because I bet it is completely driving you nuts and I know you like the amp.  What even causes radio reception to come through? 

I've been playing with EQ, as per Ari's recommendation, and the HD800 really sings when I knock down the 7k a few Db.  Now I'm all aflutter.  What a tremendous headphone.  I look forward to listening to it properly when the L2 arrives in a few months.  Until then I have to say, I've not been this smitten with a dynamic since ever.  I've loved the sound of a few others, namely the old pink driver RS-1, the HP-2 and the K1000, but none of those were enjoyable going into hour 3 of marathon listening.  These things are delicious stretching out to infinity.

The trick is getting rid of the tizz without getting rid of the sparkly.  Still working on it.  Hopefully it's a little less finnicky (and less demanding of EQ) out of a proper amp.

Edited by Sherwood

I've been playing with EQ, as per Ari's recommendation, and the HD800 really sings when I knock down the 7k a few Db.  Now I'm all aflutter.  What a tremendous headphone.  I look forward to listening to it properly when the L2 arrives in a few months.  Until then I have to say, I've not been this smitten with a dynamic since ever.  I've loved the sound of a few others, namely the old pink driver RS-1, the HP-2 and the K1000, but none of those were enjoyable going into hour 3 of marathon listening.  These things are delicious stretching out to infinity.

The trick is getting rid of the tizz without getting rid of the sparkly.  Still working on it.  Hopefully it's a little less finnicky (and less demanding of EQ) out of a proper amp.

Try adding a notch filter at 3.5Khz and 14Khz as well.

They are somewhat interactive, but once you know the frequencies to use its just a matter of getting the amplitudes. 

Yes, it does take a bunch of time to get it dialed in, but when you get it right its realllly cool. 

Presume its an active rather than passive equaliser?

Do you find it lowers the overall sound quality a little with all that additional electronics in the way?  

Try adding a notch filter at 3.5Khz and 14Khz as well.

They are somewhat interactive, but once you know the frequencies to use its just a matter of getting the amplitudes. 

Yes, it does take a bunch of time to get it dialed in, but when you get it right its realllly cool. 

The Cinemags are very nice, but you'll lose a little resolution. The Jensens are essentially identical but they cost more. The Lundahl LL1592s are a little more expensive, but resolve enough better to make them worth the difference to me. The Lundahl LL1690s are more expensive still, but are absolutely transparent. They are what I used in the L-2 by default.

I mean in relation to the price of the Extreme. Even a pair of Cinemags would run a bit under $200.

How much do you think an Extreme is worth these days?

The Cinemags are very nice, but you'll lose a little resolution. The Jensens are essentially identical but they cost more. The Lundahl LL1592s are a little more expensive, but resolve enough better to make them worth the difference to me. The Lundahl LL1690s are more expensive still, but are absolutely transparent. They are what I used in the L-2 by default.

I was going to suggest to Jacob that he ask you. :)