Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

Well, we see what happens when I build my cap isolated cables come Monday or Tuesday, before I set aside yet more "when Emily is working again" money. :)

What is a cap isolated cable?  The only thing which comes to mind are those crazy actively biased cables, which have capacitors on each end to block the dc bias.

I remember that way back in the '80's.

Used to have a double pole switch with centre position on the amp chassis so you could lift the earth or insert the cap in circuit.

One of the options usually solved the problem

I put in the cap isolated cables, and the radio station is gone, except if i hold the cable headphone cable just right, i get 91.7 XVXU, which is our local FM station clearly enough to understand it, with the volume pot all the way up.  Anybody have an explanation for that?

It's my understanding that I should't be able to pick up FM on this kind of equipment, but I heard the station ID, and there isn't an AM simulcast in this area.  The cable had to be in contact with my leather couch, and held just right for it to happen.  

Sitting on my couch, right next to the rig, is where I intend on doing some listening, so having the cable able to touch the couch is a little bit important...

While I was mostly kidding around, how often are you going to have the volume pot all the way turned up with no music on and hold the cable in just the right way for reception to occur?  

Here is something for people who think the L-2 is a bit plain looking...  :)

YPfVmkph.jpg

It's my birthday present from Kevin and along with it came the L-2 power umbilical.  I can finally move the amp now as the temp cable was just a fire hazard waiting to happen. 

Edited by spritzer
  • Like 2