Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

The thicker cable does allow for easier transfer of the audio signal, while reducing the frequency of distortion causing vibrations.  I'm currently designing an HD800 giga cable with a 4 inch diameter silver core, surounded by a mantle of copper.  The two metals cancel all remaining distortion.  This cable will open the HD800 to their true potential, allowing them to, for lack of a better term, sextuple the performance of the SR-009s.  And for an additional $1500, I'll sell a stand to help support the cable's weight.  This also opens up the soundstage by an astonishing 76% by using my new proprietary technique.

The thicker cable does allow for easier transfer of the audio signal, while reducing the frequency of distortion causing vibrations.  I'm currently designing an HD800 giga cable with a 4 inch diameter silver core, surounded by a mantle of copper.  The two metals cancel all remaining distortion.  This cable will open the HD800 to their true potential, allowing them to, for lack of a better term, sextuple the performance of the SR-009s.  And for an additional $1500, I'll sell a stand to help support the cable's weight.  This also opens up the soundstage by an astonishing 76% by using my new proprietary technique.

I cannot tell if this is an example of Poe's law or not.  First thought was no, which progressed to maybe, and then onto wine.

• Like 1

nnotis - why don't you save yourself the trouble of designing your own cable and just buy a Stefan AudioArt cable instead? Then you can send it to Tyll for testing. James might be so grateful that you stopped riding his ass and finally coughed up, he might even give you a discount.

Edited by tin ear

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the past few days reading/rereading this thread. One of the more informative and entertaining threads I've ever read on headcase.

Bought my HD800 from justin about a month ago. I love 'em. Not much more I can say other than what others have said. It shows you what is in the recording, nothing more, nothing less. Some people don't like the highs, I actually love the highs. Sounds very "pro audio" instead of "hi fi" if that makes any sense. Some rock recordings are just bright. A drumstick cracking a cymbal is just bright. Some guitarists tone is just really shrieking bright. Is that necessarily pleasant to listen to? No, but whether or not you enjoy that unpleasantness depends on what your goal in this crazy hobby is. I get excited when I'm hearing exactly what is in that recording. If I just want the sound to be revealing but fun, I'll listen to my speakers.

so gs-x mk2 or whatever ECP audio dreams up next? tell me what to do headcase. 

• Like 1

Much like the difference in opinions on the HD800, I find the recommended amps also in opposition. I know I'm a bit out of group consensus on this one. Like everything I suppose it's what you want to emphasize/minimize and your source. From those I've spent significant time with (most owned)... 

BA 2A3/BA AD1 > Peak & Volc/S7 > Arete & Volc > Peak SPU/Arete SPU > DSHA-1 Proto > P1 > P1u > B22/Another B22

Basically, I love the BA and Peak with it, though never heard the GS-X MKII or production ECP... or Pinnacle / Teton.

Edited by blessingx

Interesting, I hadn't considered the Apex Peak. When it comes to the world of headphone amps, I'm definitely drawn to manufacturers/designers that I know or one of you personally knows. The audio world is already so full of shenanigans, and within the headphone amplification subset it seems like there is an even greater concentration of shenanigans than in the audio world at large. so todd/millett, justin/gilmore, dsavitsk, etc., are the types of names I can trust. I think we all (at headcase) pretty much operate on a similar principle.

the luxman stuff looks awesome, i guess i just don't know enough about it to feel comfortable with the brand. i tend to be fiercely brand loyal, to a fault sometimes. anything i haven't obsessively, exhaustively researched doesn't sit right with me. 

Edited by postjack

I have been using the Apex Peak/Volcano with the HD800's for the past couple of months and have to admit they have the best synergy of anything I have tried so far. They sound stunning for dynamic. Currently tube rolling as well, Brimar/Mullard 6SN7/CV1988 is a great match. I have not tried the Eddie current or ECP audio offering as of yet as current funds won't permit this.

I also think the source is important as I don't feel any of the bright very analytical DAC's are a good match for the HD800's, it just sounds too digital and I find the 800's tend to emphasise this.

Interesting, I hadn't considered the Apex Peak. When it comes to the world of headphone amps, I'm definitely drawn to manufacturers/designers that I know or one of you personally knows. The audio world is already so full of shenanigans, and within the headphone amplification subset it seems like there is an even greater concentration of shenanigans than in the audio world at large. so todd/millett, justin/gilmore, dsavitsk, etc., are the types of names I can trust. I think we all (at headcase) pretty much operate on a similar principle.

the luxman stuff looks awesome, i guess i just don't know enough about it to feel comfortable with the brand. i tend to be fiercely brand loyal, to a fault sometimes. anything i haven't obsessively, exhaustively researched doesn't sit right with me. 

Edited by complin

I have been using the Apex Peak/Volcano with the HD800's for the past couple of months and have to admit they have the best synergy of anything I have tried so far. They sound stunning for dynamic. Currently tube rolling as well, Brimar/Mullard 6SN7/CV1988 is a great match. I have not tried the Eddie current or ECP audio offering as of yet as current funds won't permit this.

I also think the source is important as I don't feel any of the bright very analytical DAC's are a good match for the HD800's, it just sounds too digital and I find the 800's tend to emphasise this.

my primary digital source is the rega apollo, which I really love. plenty revealing but definitely not analytical. I'm probably 60% spinning CDs and 40% spinning vinyl. I have oodles of FLAC files but computer audio hasn't turned me on for a long time. i'll probably get a new DAC eventually but for the time being I'm so happy with my CDP, so why bother?

not looking to buy a new headphone amp right this moment, i'm at the beginning of my research period. maybe after tax season, or festival season, I'll be looking to purchase.  BUT if I wanted to go the GS-X route now would be a good time to get in line, so to speak, as delivery would probably occur around that time.

i appreciate your comments.