Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

I haven't heard the GS-X but if it's going to sound like the Gilmore Lite or Dynahi I definitely think it would be a better idea to try out the Peak/Volcano since it's going to sound well, different. You already have the β22 and I honestly thought that it's more similar than different compared to the Dynahi. 

Peak/Volcano is a pretty awesome combination with the HD800 but the Zana Deux slightly edges it out for me. 

I haven't heard the GS-X but if it's going to sound like the Gilmore Lite or Dynahi I definitely think it would be a better idea to try out the Peak/Volcano since it's going to sound well, different. You already have the β22 and I honestly thought that it's more similar than different compared to the Dynahi. 

Peak/Volcano is a pretty awesome combination with the HD800 but the Zana Deux slightly edges it out for me. 

So bright headphones + bright amp = good? I don't follow...and the Zana Duh is far from an HD800 worthy amp.

So bright headphones + bright amp = good? I don't follow...and the Zana Duh is far from an HD800 worthy amp.

Speaking of not following... I'm not sure I understand your implications (and fancy word play).  So the Peak is more similar to B22 than the others? And also more bright? And the Zana Deux sucks? I do I have that all wrong?

Edited by blessingx

I presume you never tried any British or European tubes then? (Mullard/Brimar/Philips)

Isn't the GS-X sound signature very similar to the Gilmore Lite? I tried the Lite and it was very good, in fact it was the first amp that made my stock Sen 800's listenable, but could still be a tad bright at times. I much prefer the Peak with a Mullard/Brimar tube, but then we all hear slightly differently.  

GS-X Mk2 is my current fav. 

That hasn't been my experience at all. The Peak/Volcano was positively brighter than the Zana Deux.

Oh well, I would just chalk it down to tube difference. 

It will not likely come as a surprise to any of you here, but the ECP L-2 with the HD800s is some next level shit.

I've been putting in a few hours a day on this combo for the last few months, and there is nothing it does less than amazing.  I am down to little changes, like replacing all the padding on my HD800s (well worth it).

Some days I feel like it's too bright, but then I listen to a dull recording and it's plenty dull.  I was listening to something last week that was so bright it hurt my teeth and made my vision dim slightly -- a Chinese recording with a sample of a splash cymbal being nailed right on the bell over and over, close miked.  I know exactly what that sounds like, as a bass player who had to stand next to a drummer in practice.  It sounds like a nail in your skull, and it hurts your teeth.  That is some fidelity right there.

It will not likely come as a surprise to any of you here, but the ECP L-2 with the HD800s is some next level shit.

I've been putting in a few hours a day on this combo for the last few months, and there is nothing it does less than amazing.  I am down to little changes, like replacing all the padding on my HD800s (well worth it).

Some days I feel like it's too bright, but then I listen to a dull recording and it's plenty dull.  I was listening to something last week that was so bright it hurt my teeth and made my vision dim slightly -- a Chinese recording with a sample of a splash cymbal being nailed right on the bell over and over, close miked.  I know exactly what that sounds like, as a bass player who had to stand next to a drummer in practice.  It sounds like a nail in your skull, and it hurts your teeth.  That is some fidelity right there.

That is one amp I'm dying to hear the HD800s with.

That is one amp I'm dying to hear the HD800s with.

For good reason.  This is as good as I've ever heard them, though I've not heard Jacob's combo.  The only time I heard them with the peak was at a meet, so not a fair comparison.  Remember really liking it, though.

I'm researching some tube amp's atm but for now i just ordered a crack and speedball kit to hold me over till i find something i really like. People seem to praise it with the 800's so at the very least i will learn something and if i'm lucky it will be the amp for me. And since i have been making my own cables for a couple of years now this looks like the logical next step. 

Edited by Riotvan

You need to move back to Colorado.  Blutarsky moved to work in Wash DC and I need more head-case locals (autocorrect try to use "fiends") here.

Well, the amazing Extreme is not here, but is instead at a friend's place, where the radio is not picked up (it is being used as a preamp, and it sounds amazing!).  I still need to pay Ken, I just hope he doesn't see this, as he'll remember that I need to. :)  The SqareWave XL sounds as good as any other amp I've heard with the HD800, though, but I prefer that Extreme's color.  If that makes sense.  I'm super, super happy with the SWXL.  

You can't imagine how happy reading this makes me, so glad you are enjoying the Sq Wave XL after Kevin fixed the PSU.  It performed on about the level of my Maxed Woo WA6, with slightly less detail but slightly larger soundstage, and a lot more power.  It did a good job of taming bright phones and paired well with my balanced HD800, but made my K1000 sound a bit dull.  It also drove the HE-500 and LCD-2 extremely well, same with HP-1000.