Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

You have a functional supra? Sweet.

Bought it from GE. KG looked it over and safetified it, so it is less likely to explode. I just can't pull the tubes out until 20 minutes after the amp is powered down or I will be electrocuted.

Hi fi is badass.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine keeps telling me to get the HD800. Have been quite reluctant, because of the price. This thread was quite an insightful read though.

The head music boxes we talk about in this story are easily the best head music boxes one can buy in a store today. When you listen to the other head music boxes after you own these you will usually be sad. Its fine though the other head music boxes are sad that they are not as good too.

When you look at the buying power of the $ today and several years ago when the same people who make the best head music box today made their old top of the line head music box (the one they made lots of, not the one they only made like 250 of) the new head music boxes are actually a good deal. When you consider how they make their songs the new head music box is amazing.

A reply using only the ten-hundred most commonly used words in the English language.

I have tried the HD800's when I had then with old vintage amplifiers, few Sansui, Marantz and Kenwood they made the HD800's to closed in and romantic sounding (too warm) and took too much of the HD800's good traits away (clarity and detail).

Edited by DefQon

Been trying the HD800 lately with solid state amps from Schiit but ended up getting very harsh and excessive brightness. Sounds too analytically and the bass is really lacking, overall music is not so musical. I recommend these with darker sounding solid state amps (which are hard to find), or tube amps such as Woo Audio WA22 or DNA Stratus 2A3.

Currently trying to obtain a HeadAmp GS-X MK2 or AMB Beta 22 to see if solid state can be sufficient enough for these phones, otherwise i'll really have to switch over to tubes.

Been trying the HD800 lately with solid state amps from Schiit but ended up getting very harsh and excessive brightness. Sounds too analytically and the bass is really lacking, overall music is not so musical. I recommend these with darker sounding solid state amps (which are hard to find), or tube amps such as Woo Audio WA22 or DNA Stratus 2A3.

Currently trying to obtain a HeadAmp GS-X MK2 or AMB Beta 22 to see if solid state can be sufficient enough for these phones, otherwise i'll really have to switch over to tubes.

While I couldn't live with the b22+HD800's (too bright) the Stratus was very nice with the HD800 but not $3.5k nice. The WA22 on the other hand is overpriced for what it does and I found my Crack + HD800 pairing better. If you want nice tubes with HD800 look at the Manley Neo Classic 300B or a Stingray, great stuff bit on the expensive side but come up now and then for 50-60% of it's RRP on the used market, Canuckaudio, a'gon and sometimes ebay.

While I couldn't live with the b22+HD800's (too bright) the Stratus was very nice with the HD800 but not $3.5k nice. The WA22 on the other hand is overpriced for what it does and I found my Crack + HD800 pairing better. If you want nice tubes with HD800 look at the Manley Neo Classic 300B or a Stingray, great stuff bit on the expensive side but come up now and then for 50-60% of it's RRP on the used market, Canuckaudio, a'gon and sometimes ebay.

That's news to me as i've read many comparisons between the B22 & GS-X saying the B22 was more musical and bass heavy (colored). But if it's bright as you say, that'll mean the GS-X would be even brighter (If those statements were true). if that's the case, how can people prefer them so much with HD800's? Was the B22 you listened to a 3-channel (stereo) or 4-channel (balanced)? I can make one myself within a month or so, so that option seemed much easier to me than waiting for a GS-X MK2.

Justin over at HeadAmp haven't replied to me yet regarding how long it'll take to make, so that's another concern.

Sadly I can't go for the Woo Audio WA22 nor DNA Stratus. I need the amplifier to have balanced pre-outs for my powered Adam A7X's monitors. Not too keen on tube amps either.  ::) 

Rolling tubes just annoy the heck out of me. Same thing with rolling OP-AMPS.  :sherwood:

So far between the HD800 & LCD-2 i have at hand, the LCD-2 definitely sounds better with Schiit Equipment. It's so hard to find a dark/warm solid state amp with so many mixed information everywhere!  ???

Not looking for anything over $3000 as i'll still have to pick up a Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC.

That's news to me as i've read many comparisons between the B22 & GS-X saying the B22 was more musical and bass heavy (colored). But if it's bright as you say, that'll mean the GS-X would be even brighter (If those statements were true). if that's the case, how can people prefer them so much with HD800's? Was the B22 you listened to a 3-channel (stereo) or 4-channel (balanced)? I can make one myself within a month or so, so that option seemed much easier to me than waiting for a GS-X MK2.

Justin over at HeadAmp haven't replied to me yet regarding how long it'll take to make, so that's another concern.

Sadly I can't go for the Woo Audio WA22 nor DNA Stratus. I need the amplifier to have balanced pre-outs for my powered Adam A7X's monitors. Not too keen on tube amps either.  ::)

Rolling tubes just annoy the heck out of me. Same thing with rolling OP-AMPS.  :sherwood:

So far between the HD800 & LCD-2 i have at hand, the LCD-2 definitely sounds better with Schiit Equipment. It's so hard to find a dark/warm solid state amp with so many mixed information everywhere!  ???

Not looking for anything over $3000 as i'll still have to pick up a Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC.

I haven't heard the GSX so I cannot comment on how it sounds but from the amassed reviews and impressions over on the other site, only 2 users have reported the GSX-MK2 + HD800 pairing sounding bright, but those 2 users don't like the HD800's sound itself anyway. I've owned the HD800's 3 times over the past 3 years, I've tested them on my own built passive, active and balanced b22 builds (currently building another balanced "boutique version" b22 for myself) and few other b22 builds I purchased one for myself and auditioned (built by other owners). They all sounded roughly the same to me being bright with the b22. The b22 sounds great with the LCD2's however, as does the Mojo but it's not surprise the neutrality of the two amp's balance it out with the LCD2's laid back warm sound signature.

As with tube rolling and opamp rolling, don't bother with the many idiots on head-fi posting night and day differences with dropping what ever tube fits in the tube socket. Same with opamp rolling, the differences are not big. Stick with one set or nice tubes and stay with it, you don't need to tube roll every single time you listen to one particular genre or choose to listen to one particular headphone.

• Like 1

I haven't heard the GSX so I cannot comment on how it sounds but from the amassed reviews and impressions over on the other site, only 2 users have reported the GSX-MK2 + HD800 pairing sounding bright, but those 2 users don't like the HD800's sound itself anyway. I've owned the HD800's 3 times over the past 3 years, I've tested them on my own built passive, active and balanced b22 builds (currently building another balanced "boutique version" b22 for myself) and few other b22 builds I purchased one for myself and auditioned (built by other owners). They all sounded roughly the same to me being bright with the b22. The b22 sounds great with the LCD2's however, as does the Mojo but it's not surprise the neutrality of the two amp's balance it out with the LCD2's laid back warm sound signature.

As with tube rolling and opamp rolling, don't bother with the many idiots on head-fi posting night and day differences with dropping what ever tube fits in the tube socket. Same with opamp rolling, the differences are not big. Stick with one set or nice tubes and stay with it, you don't need to tube roll every single time you listen to one particular genre or choose to listen to one particular headphone.

Gotta agree with you there. It's become to the point of placebo or just plain impulse. :mikey2:  Some OP-Amps are pretty close to night/day difference though, i would say. NE5532 to LME49720 for example. One is excessively bass heavy while the other focusing too much on treble.

"Boutique" version? Any way to make it more boutique other than using Nichizon KZ, Vishay Dale Resistors, Wima Film, and OCC Wires? I'm still thinking whether i should go for potentiometer or stepped attenuator.  :laugh:

As of this point a little fearful of not finding a good suited solid state amp for this HD800. Took too much time making a cable and changing it's internal driver wire out to litz occ..

Maybe I'll freak out and go try the Anaxilus Mod for that bright suppression.   :- http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

There's plenty of meets or even a loan program I think Justin had going around for the HD800's (could be wrong), give yourself a listen and decide whether you like it or not.

The Glass Jar Audio kit is far from boutique, I'll most likely be using some Blackgates, NOS Russian films or PIO's for the 1uf 63v's. The Vishay Dale RN55's are as good as you can get for resistors/price. I'm not going to spend a stupid amount on Shinkoh tantalums when they don't have any benefits over the Dales.

Edited by DefQon

Will wait for the next meet i suppose. Better off than blind buying.  8)

Ah you're talking about that level of "boutique". Well best of luck to you. Haven't heard of Shinkoh tantalums and just did some reading on that, thanks.

Thanks nnotis for confirming that they are on the bright side of neutral.

I have tried the HD800's when I had then with old vintage amplifiers, few Sansui, Marantz and Kenwood they made the HD800's to closed in and romantic sounding (too warm) and took too much of the HD800's good traits away (clarity and detail).

I think you've answered my query.

Romantic and warm sounding is a good way of describing what kind of signature I'm definitely looking for.

I've heard of Kenwood for sure, but not the other brands you mention, so I guess that's the brand for me to vintage for.

Thank you.