Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has been discussed before but i'm wondering how many of you are still running these on a higher output impedance. I mean there's this lower treble grittiness that completely goes away when i run these on a 120 Ohm output. Gives it the same liquid mids as with the Crack.

Maybe i can eq it out but making an adapter was faster :)

I know this has been discussed before but i'm wondering how many of you are still running these on a higher output impedance. I mean there's this lower treble grittiness that completely goes away when i run these on a 120 Ohm output. Gives it the same liquid mids as with the Crack.

Maybe i can eq it out but making an adapter was faster :)

I may be weird, but I do both. 

Parametric EQ per the instructions in the "how to Equalize your headphones, a tutorial" thread on head-fi, and a stoopid-high-output impedance amp. 

It may have something to do with my amp having 6 double triodes :P but people always say they like it at head-fi meets. I think its both things. 

I may be weird, but I do both. 

Parametric EQ per the instructions in the "how to Equalize your headphones, a tutorial" thread on head-fi, and a stoopid-high-output impedance amp. 

It may have something to do with my amp having 6 double triodes :P but people always say they like it at head-fi meets. I think its both things. 

Haha nah you're not weird, i do the same. I also used that guide to find my ears resonance frequency and i further reduced the 6k ish peak and added a little boost to the low end :) Just curious how high is the output impedance on your setup? 

Edited by Riotvan

It is balanced, which doubles the output impedance - so about 450ohms at the end of the day. Kind of a lot :) 

The only thing I am sure of is that 0ohms is wrong :P

Aha so mine is like 240 ohms since i also run balanced? Going a bit above my paygrade here haha, but maybe ill go play with it when i have some spare time. But i agree 0 ohms is wrong to my ears as well.

Doug is that one of your new designs? If it has an option for a remote count me interested, yeah i'm a lazy fuck when i sit down for a listen :)

There is likely a current source amp in the future. It is not first in line, though, as I am always hesitant on it as it is in the realm of probably too weird to sell. And I just got some crazy custom made (amorphous) iron from Lundahl which is part of the next project. I am hoping to have a prototype of that one at the NYC/CT meet on Nov 15th ... maybe.

• 1 month later...

Very impressive, QA, attention to detail, process, staff conditions etc.

As said above, other audio / boutique / jewelry manufacturers take note. Hand made does not need to mean variable / crappy / unjustifiably expensive.

Look for a DIN standard / QA sticker on your next purchase :)

Edited by Grahame