Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

It is less the length, and more the function, though I suppose function is a function of the length. In an interconnect, silver has a slightly lower impedance than copper. But neither putting a (tiny) resistor in line with the silver to make it like the copper, nor doubling up the copper to make it like silver, seems to have a measurable or DBT perceivable effect on sound.

In a transformer, the silver wire's better conductivity increases the flux which could possibly make the transformer work better.

I have neither heard nor measured a silver wired transformer, so I can't say whether the difference is audible or worthwhile. And based on the price, I can't say I am in a hurry to do so. But you can certainly do the calculations for an electric motor wound with silver wire over copper to see the increase in efficiency.

• 3 weeks later...

It says HD800 - Black, which were discontinued by Sennheiser or rather never made it to serial manufacture.  They always planned on having a silver and a black one before launch. 

Oh, I understand! Thanks, Spritzer. I reckoned they called it black but it was the same. I also saw some info on Changstar indicating that they were discontinued, and when I saw that ad, I was puzzled.

HD800 is unavailable on many sites, indeed. Especially on official Sennheiser sites. I guess lots of sale + not enough anticipation with stocks + Christmas holidays at Sennheiser factory = product temporarily unavailable. Sennheiser doesn't change its line-up every morning like for instance Audeze or worse, Audio-GD.

Ali

Edited by Ali-Pacha

Sennheiser are still selling the HD600 which they should have discontinued years ago so the HD800 going away isn't bloody likely.  Still I can check on Monday from the belly of the beast. 

Also Changstar as source is just precious.  Might as well believe that the new HE1000 is the best headphone ever made as they are saying on HF....

I did confirm today that the HD800 is indeed not discontinued and it's just the slew of wireless units that they are coming out with.  I could have tried them but couldn't be arsed... 

well i was told by them that something BIG was coming out at CES, i did ask if it was bluetooth, they said no..so are these wireless bluetooth?