Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

It's just a better tool. I don't understand how anyone can argue the HD800 can surpass the detail and refinement of Stax.

Detail maybe, but it doesn't seem able to sustain that detail without graininess.

It's pretty obvious, especially once you're used to the grain free sound of most stats.  Lots of comparisons between the two are done within 60 seconds, in the middle of a loud trade show, while sipping scotch...not the most reliable impressions (but definitely fun ;D ).

Edited by n3rdling

• 4 weeks later...

It's pretty obvious, especially once you're used to the grain free sound of most stats.  Lots of comparisons between the two are done within 60 seconds, in the middle of a loud trade show, while sipping scotch...not the most reliable impressions (but definitely fun ;D ).

I'm a bit surprised how so many headphones just sound tonally dead compared to the ESL63.... actually I don't think I've owned a single headphone that could match them. None of them can match their bass or treble on acoustic instruments or vocals, and it's not even remotely close. I never tended to notice it until I started to pretty much just listen to the ESLs. In constant heavy rotation has been Annie Fischer's Beethoven piano sonatas, if the Quads just had some more lower fundamental richness it would probably sound damn close to that Bosendorfer.

If I can get my TAD CD and whatever lower mid (Altec/TAD/Supravox) to match the tone of the mid and bass of the 63 I will be pretty damn happy. I may even have to get a 57 for reference comparison :)

• 5 months later...

I think I'm significantly less sensitive to brightness than I was say ten years ago (33 now, 34 in a week or so). In fact cans or speakers without a nice, sparkly treble are kind of boring to me. This could be age, could be hearing loss from live music, but it is a trend I've definitely noticed.

I think I'm significantly less sensitive to brightness than I was say ten years ago (33 now, 34 in a week or so). In fact cans or speakers without a nice, sparkly treble are kind of boring to me. This could be age, could be hearing loss from live music, but it is a trend I've definitely noticed.

You're way too young to start noticing that. Have your hearing professionally checked and if there's a loss, take protecting measures, otherwise you might be a good candidate to use hearing aids in the future.

You're way too young to start noticing that. Have your hearing professionally checked and if there's a loss, take protecting measures, otherwise you might be a good candidate to use hearing aids in the future.

10-4, thanks for the suggestion. My Dad has terrible hearing, and he didn't go to a crapload of concerts like me, so I wonder if it is somewhat genetic?. Having said that, I have been using earplugs at shows since 2009, and rarely go to any superloud club shows these days, so I have been taking protective measures, at least since 2009.

But I will go get my hearing professionally checked. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking it'll be definitely 2k or more since they're including the balanced cable they charge $300+ for.

The current HD800's MSRP is $1600 now as well. Maybe they can drop the price back down to $1300 or whatever it debuted at. :)

Edited by dcpoor