Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

according to the other place, the hd800s isn't just a hd800 with a diy adapted mod and a new coat of paint.

sennheiser did investigate that approach but found that it attenuated the highs too much and compromised the sound staging. they opted for a "helmholtz resonator" (which is a type of tuned absorber apparently) to redress the 6khz peak while extending the high and low frequencies.

it could be the heimlich maneuver for all i care as long as it does the job.

according to the other place, the hd800s isn't just a hd800 with a diy adapted mod and a new coat of paint.

sennheiser did investigate that approach but found that it attenuated the highs too much and compromised the sound staging. they opted for a "helmholtz resonator" (which is a type of tuned absorber apparently) to redress the 6khz peak while extending the high and low frequencies.

it could be the heimlich maneuver for all i care as long as it does the job.

blow your bear bottle and you have a "helmholtz resonator" - by drinking the beer you'll adjust the resonance frequency 

A very informative post on the HD800s from our old pal Arnaud.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled/315#post_12021524

I've been on the sideline about jumping back on the HD800 bandwagon after selling my 009s, but this new pair might be enough to convince me if the price is right. The HD600/650 are just so damn good that I haven't been jealous of the HD800 sound.

Funny this comes out right when I'm thinking about picking up the HD650 again. Maybe its nostalgia, but i want to hear the technics 1200 > singlepower supra > HD650. Used to be my setup but with a PPX3 instead of a supra. Vinyl + HD650 regardless of amp was always kind of a special combination.

• Like 1

A very informative post on the HD800s from our old pal Arnaud.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled/315#post_12021524

I've been on the sideline about jumping back on the HD800 bandwagon after selling my 009s, but this new pair might be enough to convince me if the price is right. The HD600/650 are just so damn good that I haven't been jealous of the HD800 sound.

yep, that's the head-fi post i was reluctant to refer to. thanks for referencing.

Funny this comes out right when I'm thinking about picking up the HD650 again. Maybe its nostalgia, but i want to hear the technics 1200 > singlepower supra > HD650. Used to be my setup but with a PPX3 instead of a supra. Vinyl + HD650 regardless of amp was always kind of a special combination.

Why not just pick up the HD650 now so you don't have to be disappointed potentially by the HD800s price (whenever they announce it)?  Couldn't go wrong as it's a great headphone that stands up to the very best despite it's age.

Edited by velvetx

Don't link to that bloke, he's clueless (only pretending!!). 

Actually, if you follow the thread a bit (borderline impossible with all the whinning) or just look for pics, you'll find the tuned absorber alright in one of jude's posts.

It's stupid simple but I bet this is all that was needed indeed! 

Cheers, arnaud

• Like 1

Why not just pick up the HD650 now so you don't have to be disappointed potentially by the HD800s price (whenever they announce it)?  Couldn't go wrong as it's a great headphone that stands up to the very best despite it's age.

oh yes that's exactly what I'm going to do, rereading my post it sounded like I was having second thoughts based on the HD800S announcement. I've got the HD650 on my amazon wishlist, just kind of waiting till the price feels right.

I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up a spare resonator from the beloved Sennheiser parts store. 

You and everyone else.  I think it's a little early to start selling off the HD-800 for the 800s especially until they definitely announce whether or not they will allow you to send the old one in for upgrades.

The other thing I am hoping for is that they have an option not to buy the 800s with that expensive balanced cable included.

Edited by velvetx

Looks like the resonator is under the protective mesh/filter and possibly built into the driver unit itself? 

Looking at it on a full size screen now, I would agree with you.  I've not actually taken the protective mesh filter off, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a single unit.  It would also not surprise me if the driver mounts were altered slightly so that an HD800s driver will not fit in an HD 800 frame.  Not a bad idea, and they likely have my money anyways.

You and everyone else.  I think it's a little early to start selling off the HD-800 for the 800s especially until they definitely announce whether or not they will allow you to send the old one in for upgrades.

The other thing I am hoping for is that they have an option not to buy the 800s with that expensive balanced cable included.

any idea how many hd800's have been sold since its introduction in 2009?  i don't but it would have to be tens of thousands. do you honestly think that it would be in sennheiser's financial interest to offer a retrofit for every unit they've sold, let alone to have the capacity to do so?

the hd800s is a new iteration and the hd800 will continue to be produced. you want an hd800 with a helmholtz resonator? then buy the hd800s or have a crack at diy.

sennheiser isn't toyota and the hd800 isn't a prius. 

• Like 2

any idea how many hd800's have been sold since its introduction in 2009?  i don't but it would have to be tens of thousands. do you honestly think that it would be in sennheiser's financial interest to offer a retrofit for every unit they've sold, let alone to have the capacity to do so?

the hd800s is a new iteration and the hd800 will continue to be produced. you want an hd800 with a helmholtz resonator? then buy the hd800s or have a crack at diy.

You are right guess just wishful thinking.

Just DIY mod your HD800 if you aren't happy with them.  

When I wanted a Subaru WRX and they didn't sell them in the USA yet, I turned my 2000 Impreza 2.5RS into a WRX, with a 240hp turbo kit, and KYB AGX struts, Tein S-tech springs, and Stromung exhaust.  And I blogged about it, getting Subarus attention.  When the WRX came to the USA the next year, Subaru invited me to the Detroit Autoshow and the Ride and Drive event at Firebird Raceway, to blog about the new car.  But they didn't let people upgrade their Imprezas to a WRX.

It looks like Sennheiser also noticed people blogging and posting about Hd800 mods, and fixed some things, but they don't have to retrofit the previous model.

Last one I saw was in the 30,000 by serial number.

Which brings us to the point of:- will the HD800S serial numbers start from number1   ?